Help with ich in a 40 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joegourami

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello

Yesterday I found out that in my 40 gallon tank all 9 neons and 2 angels are infested with ich, so I isolated them and treated with methylene blue, salt and warm water. The main question is how to prevent the ich in the 40 gallon? I can't add salt because I have cories. Can I just raise the temperature and add methylene blue? And for how long before returning the carbon and do water changes?

The only way to prevent ich in the display tank is to follow a proper QT procedure, I isolate all new fish for 3-4 weeks prior to adding them with other fish. Otherwise there really is no sure fire way to prevent the disease, it's easily treatable without medications. Ich can be carried in the gills making a positive ID when picking fish impossible.

I've never used the methelyne blue route as I simply use heat/salt so I'm unable to answer the question about the carbon, I've never lost a fish following this standard treatment.

The only way to prevent ich in the display tank is to follow a proper QT procedure, I isolate all new fish for 3-4 weeks prior to adding them with other fish. Otherwise there really is no sure fire way to prevent the disease, it's easily treatable without medications. Ich can be carried in the gills making a positive ID when picking fish impossible.

I've never used the methelyne blue route as I simply use heat/salt so I'm unable to answer the question about the carbon.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom