Help with ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zarmalar

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Tetras have ick... Pretty bad... I've been treating with tablets but this morning I've noticed that their fins are all torn up or missing. Now one is barely alive floating. So I did a 50% water change then added in salt. I've had my water temp turned up. My other fish are completely fine. But my Tetras are not :( what else can I do?

I had a bad dose of ick a while ago. The only thing that got rid of it for me was a 2 week course of methylene blue. It works but It turns the water in your tank dark blue. it's hard to see the fish.

My Platy is picking at the half floating fish... Should I just remove him?

I definitely would. If it wasn't ick and was an internal parasite. You wouldn't want in spreading.

... Now my Platy is nipping at the Tetras back fins ugh! My tank is just falling apart

Even with my heater turned all the way up and I put in my 10 gal heater to help raise the temp but all I'm getting to is 82...
So when I do another water change today should I add more salt per water I replaced?

You need to boost the heat up to 86

Add an airstone to increase oxygenation

Do gravel vacs every 2-3 days to remove ich spores from substrate

Maintain this schedule for minimum of 2 weeks

I would probably isolate the platy, if possible. Sounds like a problem fish.

I have an air stone already, I have no way to isolate the Platy, but she's never been like this untill yesterday. But that still doesn't answer my question of do I add more salt per each water change.

I have no way to up my tank temp any higher then I have it now. My regular heater is up all the way and I added a second heater.

I have an air stone already, I have no way to isolate the Platy, but she's never been like this untill yesterday. But that still doesn't answer my question of do I add more salt per each water change.

If you're doing a 50% water change, replace the salt for 50% of the tank. What has your ratio of salt per gallon been?

But the good news is, I have seen improvement in the fish since adding the salt to the water. One tetra is free of spots, although I've noticed my other fish scraping on rocks and decor. In total I lost 3 Tetras yesterday. So my plan is to continue the water changes daily, adding salt and keeping my heat the highest I can at 82.

Just remember to do really aggressive gravel vacs, too, not just water changes.

If you can't raise the temp, it'll just take longer to rid the tank of ich.

Gotcha, I may just take out all my decor or most of it so I can do better gravel vac

Back
Top Bottom