Help with my Molly fry please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello my black Molly had 3 fry about 2 weeks ago now with the dad being a white with black spots Dalmatian Molly.

I've noticed that one has white spots over it. It's had them since I managed to get them separated from rest of the community tank. (When I first saw the fry properly)
I'm not sure if it's just white spotted due to the dad or if it's ill as I've never dealt had fish with ick before? None of the the fish in the tank has ick.
All fish seem happy.

Any ideas or answers?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400165177.899500.jpg

Your Tank

Hello my black Molly had 3 fry about 2 weeks ago now with the dad being a white with black spots Dalmatian Molly.

I've noticed that one has white spots over it. It's had them since I managed to get them separated from rest of the community tank. (When I first saw the fry properly)
I'm not sure if it's just white spotted due to the dad or if it's ill as I've never dealt had fish with ick before? None of the the fish in the tank has ick.
All fish seem happy.

Any ideas or answers?View attachment 237299

Hello Dave...

You need to change the tank water more often and add a couple of level teaspoons of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of the new, treated tap water. Tanks up to 30 gallons need half the water changed weekly. Larger tanks can likely go two weeks between the 50 percent changes. Do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material. If your tank has Ich parasites, many will be living in the substrate.

B

Is it defiantly ick then? I have 40g tank but not sure some of the fish can handle salt.

The spots are only on the top of the body. Atm I've got them in a breaded box till they get bit bigger would it be worth moving them into my 19l fuval chi tank on there own?

Your Tank

Is it defiantly ick then? I have 40g tank but not sure some of the fish can handle salt.

Hello again Dave...

Aquarium fish can easily tolerate a couple of teaspoons. This is minimal. The idea is to discourage the growth of the Ich parasites and stimulate the fishes' immune system, specifically the scales or skin. A little salt will do both. Mollies are essentially brackish water fish and are designed to make good use of a little sodium chloride.

Your choice of course. You're the keeper of the tank water.

B

cool thanks for the advice. I'll move them to the smaller tank and do a WC and add some salt hopefully get rid of it. ?

Treating Ich

cool thanks for the advice. I'll move them to the smaller tank and do a WC and add some salt hopefully get rid of it. ?

Dave...

If you have the infected fish in a tank with other fish, you'll need to treat all the fish. Just moving and treating those that are noticeably infected isn't going to help the others. They all need to be treated just to be sure. You don't want the infection to reoccur.

B

Back
Top Bottom