Help with Popeye!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gonzo1683

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey my long fin danio has a red puffy eye i just noticed this now i dont mind treating the whole tank since i do not have room for a hops. tank...if anyone knows why this eye is like this or knows what meds i can give please help.. i just saw it today.. i did a water change a few days ago and the water qaulity is still good amonia0, ph 7.3,0,5ppm
anyway its a 55 gal tall tanki keep the temp at 80 all the time it doesnt jump up nor down.. i do put a bit of salt in the tank usually i keep it less then they say to add (its freshwater)
img_2641384_0_7feeb06084fae1856871d66a0132e155.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_2641384_1_8d527a7b5292141f3353098b8c53329a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

i hope these pics upload :)

thanks in advance

I think it's pop eye it looks like he just tore it n it's all red now I have no medicine and I'm about to go into work .. I don't think he will make it.. I just don't want my other fish getting sick I threw one packet of maracyn n that's only good for 10gals but something is better then nothing anyway

Thanks

I think it's pop eye it looks like he just tore it n it's all red now I have no medicine and I'm about to go into work .. I don't think he will make it.. I just don't want my other fish getting sick I threw one packet of maracyn n that's only good for 10gals but something is better then nothing anyway

Thanks

A closer picture would help. If it looks like an injury, start out with just clean water and maybe add stress coat. Don't add any antibiotics unless it starts to look fuzzy.

Thanks.. The local pet shop said let it be.. It maybe from an injury he's doing ok his eye is out a bit :( crossing fingers

If it is only one eye, it may be injury related. I would not be adding salt to the tank, it's not going to do anything any good unless they are fish that like salt, such as mollies.

If the eye gets fuzzy, probably fungus moving in, in which case an anti fungal would be worth trying.

And using a dosage of any med that is not the right size for the tank is pointless. All you do, if anything, is make whatever organism it is supposed to help manage more resistant to the med in future.

Dose the right amount or don't dose at all. Same for antibiotics. Don't use unless you are sure they are needed then dose the right amount, not less, not more, for as long as the directions indicate. Otherwise, you just make the bugs more resistant to it, which harms us all in the long run.

Thanks all for the quick responses sorry I haven't been on... Fishfur - the salt I always add after water changes I was just throwing it in for tank info... Sorry I didn't read your whole response it must have been from an injury n not a disease he has lost his eye completely but doing well he's eating and swimming no other disease have been detected so far and all fish doing well. :)

Fishfur thanks.. Ill remember the medication thing next time

Back
Top Bottom