Help with possibly sick betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Megagalvatron1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As the title states I really could use some help with my Betta fish. I don’t know what’s wrong with it and I’m really worried I’m gonna lose it. I am relatively new to fish keeping. I have had this betta for six months. He’s been fine and very happy up until the last five days. He used to be in a 5.5 gallon tank with two dwarf frogs one Cory catfish and some ghost shrimp. In that tank he was very happy swim around a lot and was constantly doing stuff. Because the cory catfish are a schooling fish I wanted to upgrade this tank. I’ve been cycled a 20 gallon tank and made sure everything was cycled and ready before moving him. I moved him over a week and a half ago.
At first he was very happy and swim around the tank a lot. I decided this week to finally treat him and my dwarf frogs and bought some frozen blood worms. I did however make a mistake of throwing them in tapwater. The tapwater was not treated. In this 20 gallon tank there is six Cory cats, my beta, my two dwarf frogs, six HarleyQuinns rasbors, and some ghost shrimp. Everyone happily ate all the blood worms. My betta tends to be a little bit of a pig and would eat all the ones on the floor that he could get to. Him and my female door frog were seeming very bloated the next day. As I know when this happens I don’t feed him in the next day he’s normally fine. However this time that has not been the case. While all the bloating had gone down the next day he now just lays on the bottom of the tank under the heater. He will come out for food and occasionally for air. Sometimes if he noticed me he will come out and swim around a little bit but then back to the bottom. I’ve also noticed he is starting to lose his color. I didn’t feed him for three days after the initial time. I then did try to feed them blood worms again this time using tank water. He ate about two and then went back to the bottom of the tank. I’m really concerned as I don’t wanna lose him. I have just been feeding him when he comes to the top of the tank one or two betta pellets.
My tank parameters are
Ammonia zero
PH 6.8
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Temperature 78
Like I said I don’t know what to do I’m really afraid I might be losing him. Everything else in my tank is acting perfectly normal. The only thing I’ve been trying to do is use API treatments or melifix and primarily. Any thoughts?

Is he defeacating normally? So at the moment he isn't bloated? Could you also post a picture of the beta? It would be helpful. Do his scales ever pinecone outwards?

He is not acting normal at all. Just lays at the bottom of the aquarium. I haven’t noticed any problems with his scales. He is not bloated now. I have No idea how to post a picture here.

He is not acting normal at all. Just lays at the bottom of the aquarium. I haven’t noticed any problems with his scales. He is not bloated now. I have No idea how to post a picture here.
Have you fed him lately? And if you have what did you feed him? Does he have trouble swimming like falling on one side or sinking to the bottom when he wants to go to the top of the water In the tank? Does he ever seem to be gasping for air?

He came up tonight and I gave him some betta pellets. He swims normally. Tonight he actually swam around for a little bit before going back to the bottom and just laying on the bottom. He doesn’t seem like his gasping for air but does come up often to take a breath before going back to laying on the bottom. This whole thing is very weird to me because I can’t seem to see any other symptoms besides him stop being active and just laying on the bottom. Only thing I do wonder is I don’t know how old he is. I got him from Walmart six months ago. For all I know where they got him from he could be an old fish. But it stinks as before this he was very active would always come to the top of the tank when I would test the water or feed him. He would even eat out of my hands and rub up on my fingers.

He came up tonight and I gave him some betta pellets. He swims normally. Tonight he actually swam around for a little bit before going back to the bottom and just laying on the bottom. He doesn’t seem like his gasping for air but does come up often to take a breath before going back to laying on the bottom. This whole thing is very weird to me because I can’t seem to see any other symptoms besides him stop being active and just laying on the bottom. Only thing I do wonder is I don’t know how old he is. I got him from Walmart six months ago. For all I know where they got him from he could be an old fish. But it stinks as before this he was very active would always come to the top of the tank when I would test the water or feed him. He would even eat out of my hands and rub up on my fingers.
Do you seem to be overfeeding? Is the beta the only one affected right now? Does the temperature ever drop to 74 or lower?

Back
Top Bottom