Help with protein skimmer in sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

protokix22

Aquarium Advice Regular
So after being told my numerous people I needed a protein skimmer, I finally bought one. It's a coralife super skimmer. I have a wet dry filter with a sump. So I put the skimer in the sump. Now maybe it's me being a paranoid newbie, but I have a question about the water level. So my sump has two sections, the one side is where the water drips through the bio balls, and the other is where I used to have just the pump to the tank, but now I have the skimmer there too. According to the manual, I had to raise the water level in the sump high enough to reach the output box on the skimmer. In doing so, the water level in the bio balls is now only an inch or so below the filter pads. So my concern is that my water is no longer "dripping" through the bio balls like it was before. The watter is covering them instead. The directions for the skimmer weren't very good, and I'm worried I'm losing the filtration from the bio-balls since the water is no longer dripping through them. Is this an issue, and if so did I do something wrong?

you have the wrong set up for an in sump skimmer. that is a wet/dry trickle filter, not a sump. to be most efficient, you want the skimmer in 8-10" of water that does not fluctuate. that means it will have to be on the bio balls side.
do you have live rock in the tank? if so, you might not need the bio balls at all. live rock is a much better filter than a trickle filter.

can you post some pictures of your setup or perhaps explain it? what model ss did you buy? the ss 65 is worthless IMO/IME.

Thanks for the advice about the sump. I was operating under the presumption that this was something I could put the skimmer in, guess I should have done a little more research beforehand. Also, I don't have live rock. And another issue is I bought the 65 on advice from another review I read.... Three strikes and I'm out. Is it worth putting the skimmer right into the tank then?

can you hang that skimmer on the back of the tank? i thought they were able to do so. if so, you can google "mesh wheel mods" and make the skimmer more efficient with a little DIY. you could also implement an auto top off to keep the return area of that wet/dry a constant level, so you can sit the skimmer in it.

I have the same model and I'm using it as a HOB skimmer. It sounds like that's what you'll have to do given your set up.

I will disagree with Mr. X in that I don't find it worthless, but it isn't the greatest either. If you do decide to use it as a HOB, be sure to turn the air all the way down until you are certain it won't overflow. (Red knob all the way counterclockwise.) Only then shold you try and adjust hte airflow up. Also, be prepared for some microbubbles making it into the tank during break in.

Okay thanks guys.
Mr. X, when you say the return area of the wet dry, you're talking about the left side of the box (not the bio balls side)? I was wondering if there was any way to put the skimmer in that compartment on the left side, and just making sure that the output box for the skimmer was low enough that it sits in the water. The only problem I see with my current set up is that the output box on the skimmer is about 8 inches above the water level, so when it goes throught that box, water falls down to the water from above. So the output isn't sitting in the water. I'm relatively new to this, so I don't know if this is going to defeat the purpose of the skimmer or not.

the skimmer removes waste. it's not defeating it's purpose to be somewhere in the system. yes, the return area is the part of the wet/dry that holds the return pump. if you can keep the water level in that area a stable 8" or so (8"-10" is generally the best water height for most protein skimmers). the other problem with keeping the skimmer in there is micro bubbles returning to the display. you might have to take steps so this is corrected.

Thanks a lot Mr. X. I have a line on my box actually that's at the 8 inch mark, and I always keep in an inch or two above that just in case something happens. When I see it getting low, I just top it off with pre-made water I have. In terms of the micro-bubbles, you are spot on. The way I had it, I had a ton of bubbles because of the cascading water. I went to the hardware store, did a little DIY repairs/additions, and now my return is in the water, and the micro-bubbles are seriously lower. Now, I just need to be patient through the breaking in period. Thanks a lot for all your advice, would've been completely lost otherwise.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom