Help with Royal pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coryuo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So i recirved a 6 inch royal Pleco last Tuesday and he seems healthy and fine he swims around appears to be rasping on drift wood as well as the glass and rock but I have not been able to get him to eat or even show interest in any food. So is he still just getting used to his new environment? I’ve tried throwing pellets in the tank as well as algae wafers and blanched pieces of cucumber and he doesn’t seem to notice any of it. I’m worried that he’s not going to get Enough to eat Just off of the algae in the tank. Once he has more or less cleaned up the algae in the tank can I expect he will begin to accept food? the only other thing I have in the tank are 2 Oscar’s that are about 5 inches and they totally leave him alone end he doesn’t seem even remotely bothered by them and their in A 180g tank.

I would think by now you’d see the pleco taking some food, but some fish can be picky eaters!

My bristlenose didn’t really eat anything for the first couple days either. They more or less were just getting used to their new territory and finding safe places to hang out. Once they got settled in they started to scavenge around and would go for the food before the fish got at it.

Once they’ve scavenged anything from the tank that they’re able to eat, there’s no choice but to start eating the food you supply or they’ll starve. So I think it’s pretty safe to say, if they’re hungry the fish will eat!

I don't know about royal plecos, but my common doesn't really eat during the day. He really only comes out for food after lights out. Throw some wafers or zucchini in at night then walk away. Check in the morning to see if he ate anything. Fish won't starve themselves in the presence of food, so he might be content with the algae right now. Live food probably tastes better than wafers. Plus algae is home to tiny creatures that could be providing protein he craves. Not sure about royals, but commons are omnivores so I need to provide protein for my pleco.

Back
Top Bottom