Help With Scallops?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am sure that this has been discussed 1000 times, but i am new to this and cant seem to find what i am looking for. So if you can help, I would be very thankful. Here it goes:
I got 100pds of live rock the other day in my 2 week 75 gallon tank. Attached to the roch was 2 scallops about 2 1/2 inches long. Many people have said that they are hard to keep alive, and feed. Here is the delimma: I dont know what to feed them or how. I am afraid that they will die and I surely dont want that. They are active I guess. At night or when the light is off that open up. I have had them for about 3 days now. All help will be gladly welcomed. Thanks All. :?

Well you can try phytoplankton and feed them directly . They are filter feeder, and if you have nothing in the water for them to eat, they starve. I tried like heck to keep a flame scallop with no luck.

What would be in the water for them to eat?

How do you directly feed them?

I am what you would call..............Fish STUPID!

Bare with me.

Their survivabilty is not usually long lived as a rule but you might try this article....

Flame scallops by Rob Toonen

Cheers
Steve

Looks like if you feed them the right stuff you can have them for a few years.. 2-3... I think I'll try my much food in my tank when it's ready !

Wow, glad I stumbled on this thread in my search, some great info. in that article.

I just added a very healthy looking flame scallop to my tank yesterday. I currently feed green lifeline, mysis, daphnia, and cyclop-eeze supplemented with some marine flake and pellets.

I will be heading back to the LFS to pick up some phytoplankton for target feeding. Will 2-3 times a week be enough phytoplankton?

Hopefully, I can will have some luck with it as it is a beautiful animal.

Their natural life spans are short ( 2- 3 years). So if you can keep one alive that long you've done great. I suspect that the ones that are for sale at the LFS are already fairly old for scallops.

I have a scallop that I first saw the day that the LR arrived in the tank. (LR.com) He swam around for a day or two, then settled on a spot on the rock and has not moved in nearly 1 year.

During that time, he has grown from about 3mm to about 20mm in size. I feed DTs nearly every day. I don't target feed, just pour 1 sml capful into the tank (40gal). I don't even stop the circulation pump, so a lot of the DTs probably ends up in the sump.

Do you think phytoplankton is necessary or will the cyclopeeze be better?

Mine did swim around a bit yesterday, but seems to have settled in a crevice and has not moved since. It is partially open and the tenacles are out. It looks great for the time being.

Thanks, I will get some DTs and target feed a small amount every other day in addition to what I feed daily for the general population.

I was out of town for a day and when I arrived home I did a PWC.

After completing it I noticed the scallop had moved and was working its way under the LR, but was still looking very good with all the tenicles extended. I pulled it back out more into the open before it worked into an area where I could not get it. I feed the fish and added some phyto plankton. Now the scallop has moved to the corner and is more open than I have ever seen one (1"+). It is open so far that I can actually see down in it.

Can I assume this is a good sign?

Back
Top Bottom