Help With Spawning Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColemAnthony1

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I got home yesterday and went into my room to go see my fish and I noticed about 5 clear eggs sitting on the leaf of my Anubias. I then noticed that two of my angelfish were acting a more aggressive and territorial than usual and I noticed that my black angelfish had a weird tube-like thing sticking out of her belly. Then out of the blue my long finned angel (assuming the male) ate all the eggs on the leaf! :/ They then went back to the leaf, cleaned it a bit more, the female laid several eggs, and they ate them. They did this several times and they then began to lip lock. This is their first time behaving like this, and I'm not sure if this behavior is normal for a first time "spawn". ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455724223.678872.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455724241.036412.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455724265.430917.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455724290.445492.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's possible but not "normal". It's possible that you have a mature female ( the black) that is laying eggs and the other fish ( long finned) is not her mate so it will eat the eggs. That's just 1 possibility. Another is that it is her mate and just too immature so it eats the eggs. Another is that it wasn't ready to spawn with her so he ate the eggs. And that's just some of the reasons.

I had a pair do the same thing and the male always ate the first few eggs that were laid before he would start fertilizing them instead of eating them. There's just no way to really get inside their heads as to what they are thinking. :blink: :facepalm:

If you wish to continue with breeding them, I strongly suggest you read this thread. just about everything you need to know was discussed on the thread. (y) http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/wigglers-at-last-237956.html

They could very well be two females. See what happens next time. If the other one lays the eggs the next time you will know.

Back
Top Bottom