help with sump build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xsmoker_3

Aquarium Advice Activist
i would like to know what over flow box flow rate i should use for a 20 gal sump refugium for a 75 gal tank . and return pump gal/hr i should buy.

Uhm.. maybe you should go with a 600GPH overflow.. which would be a one inch bulkhead.. but for a tank that big maybe you would benefit better from a 1.5" bulkhead, or maybe two 1" bulkheads.

As for the return pump, you need to calculate the height from where the return pump will sit to where the return line goes over the lip of the tank, if you're not drilling the tank to begin with. Then, once you know what that height is, look for a return pump that is stronger. As an example, if it's 4ft from the return pump to the lip of the tank, then you would most likely want a return pump that can push water up 6ft, in order to give you extra flow in the tank. Because if you just got a pump rated for 4ft of head height.. you will have very little pressure coming from the return line. Just enough pressure for the water to just make it over the edge of the tank.

Most people suggest a total turn over rate of between 10 - 20X tank capacity per hour. I usually shoot for about half that coming from the main pump and half from power heads inside the main display. Fish only tanks don't usually require as high of flow and are closer to the 10X side. Tanks with a large amount of SPS and other coral which require high flow (since they are usually found in shallow reefs where the tidal currents and wave motion are high) are going closer to the 20X side.

So the first step for you is going to be to decide what you think you would like to keep in your tank and start planning from there. I would suggest shooting for 450-650 gph from your main pump. Be sure to take into consideration the head loss of your system. This is usually estimated by the pump manufacturer as a function of height.

Lastly, once you know what the flow from the main pump will be you can size your overflow and plumping accordingly. Be sure that you have some wiggle room in this factor as a "just in case". What i mean by that is if your pump puts out 650 gph make sure that your overflows can handle at least 750.

That's hilarious.. where the heck did those little green men even come from. Hahahaha

I use the eshopps 800gph syphon pipe type,great piece of kit,good price too.these are very quiet as well as long as you have good gph from your return pump,I have this on a 60g(UK gallon)with 2 sumps.another good thing with these is when the water flow gets louder it means your return pump filter needs cleaning.Have a look in my albums(new tank build)

Trickle filters aren't the best for reef tanks, the bio balls will build up and cause high nitrates. Plus I wouldn't skimp out on the protein skimmer for a 75-gallon reef tank.

+1 ryshark.I have the next syphon tube overflow to this and an eheim return pump which can pump 2000, both are spot on.

That's a nice set-up and a good price. You don't have to use the bio balls....

Definitely a good price, I won't argue that. Unless you decide you would like to get into some of the harder to care for coral or would like to add a couple more fish. Then that "top of the line" 4" body skimmer will not be enough for a 75-gallon tank. Then you will be looking to upgrade and will spend more money in the long run. I think a lot depends on exactly what the original poster wants to keep in the tank in regards to what type of coral and which fish.
Looking back, I would have saved lots of money if I bought right the first time. But if I stuck with my original plan of having a fowlr, then I would be ok with my original equipment. However, the fowlr plan didn't last long.
A lot also depends on the budget of the OP.

Back
Top Bottom