Help with Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vikesfankevin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone. This is my first post here. I will get my profile updated in the next day or 2. In the mean time I had a question about tetras. Mainly what tetras will school together.
In my 29 gallon tank right now I have 6 glowlight tetras, 5 Neon tetras and 2 cory cats. I have dark rocks with some drift wood and some java moss, along with some fake plants. I am a fan of tetras and I wanted to get a couple of schools going.
I already have the glowlights and the Neons but I was wondering what would go well with them. My next choice would be black neon tetras. My dad has some of those and I thought their color would go well with the fish I already have. Now I read that fish will generally school if they are the same color and same size. Or is that wrong? I have also heard neons and glowlights will school together.
I was wondering would cardnials school with the neons? So could I get like 2 of them? Also I saw some gold pristilla tetras or something and they look real similar to glowlights so will they school with them? Also saw they have green neon tetras?
So what would you guys suggest as far as tetras together. My tank can handle about 1 more school I think but if I could add 2 of say one type of tetra that would be even better.
Thanks.

Personally, I've had glowlights and neons all shoal together, along with zebra danios and white clouds. Some people have neons and glowlights and they don't shoal at all.

Honestly, it depends on the fish you like. I'd spend a lot of time watching the fish in your fish store to see how they behave and make my choice based on which ones shoal the most.

Of the fish you mentioned, I like the pristella tetras best since they seem to swim together more often than the others. However, I have not observed the green neons at any time, since I've never seen them in a store.

Fish are weird. My new glass cats shoal with my harlequin rasboras. I never observed that behavior with my last group of glass cats that lived with neon tetras, zebra danios and white cloud minnows...

Hmmm interesting. They sell the green neons online. Is that something to do? Get fish online? Not sure how that works really...

You can order online. Many around here use Aquabid. However, I know nothing about it since I've only purchased fish at the store. I like instant gratification.

Perhaps a few people will chime in with good sites to buy fish from other than aquabid.

If you like tetras, I personally love gold tetras. They're Shinyyyy !
I have around 6 of them, they school up nicely and socialize with the others .
I have a few neons and black tetras.

Back
Top Bottom