help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobbiest

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi i was looking for some help with my aquarium and decided to try here even though my computer skills are not the best .:facepalm: here is the problem, I have a 65 Gal. aquarium i started over a year and a half ago. My 20 gal I never had a problem with but now I am beyond frustrated. I have a simi agressive tank, 4angelfis, 4giant dinoes, a brown knifefish, 2pictus catfish and 4skirted tetras. My GHis180,KH120,PH6.0,ntrite 0,nitrate is 80. I do a patial water change evey sun. of at least 30%. I have a TetaEX 70 over the top filter I change cartiges every two weeks. Heres the thing, no matter what I do I cant change the PH or hardness and i have bought and tried everything petsmart as told me to try. My water is clear and my fish are all alive if not happy thanks to a furtune in a cemical called prime. If anyone can help I would greatly appriciate it:popcorn:. Hope I can figure out how to get your replies! Also I use gravel in the tank, have three Java ferns and one Amozon sword Plant. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Your number 1 problem is your changing your cartridges...do not change your media ..every time you change your cartridges you are throwing away amazing bacteria...there is a simple solution to this problem. You can get a sponge filter,which is under 20 bucks and as long as you never touch the sponge filter you can change the top filters. Your tank is fighting to stay at good levels because the bacterial levels are prob low. The companies who make the filters want you to spend money on the cartridges and that's why it says to change the cartridges...sneaky bastards

Your number 1 problem is your changing your cartridges...do not change your media ..every time you change your cartridges you are throwing away amazing bacteria...there is a simple solution to this problem. You can get a sponge filter,which is under 20 bucks and as long as you never touch the sponge filter you can change the top filters. Your tank is fighting to stay at good levels because the bacterial levels are prob low. The companies who make the filters want you to spend money on the cartridges and that's why it says to change the cartridges...sneaky bastards

Thanks for the info

hi i was looking for some help with my aquarium and decided to try here even though my computer skills are not the best .:facepalm: here is the problem, I have a 65 Gal. aquarium i started over a year and a half ago. My 20 gal I never had a problem with but now I am beyond frustrated. I have a simi agressive tank, 4angelfis, 4giant dinoes, a brown knifefish, 2pictus catfish and 4skirted tetras. My GHis180,KH120,PH6.0,ntrite 0,nitrate is 80. I do a patial water change evey sun. of at least 30%. I have a TetaEX 70 over the top filter I change cartiges every two weeks. Heres the thing, no matter what I do I cant change the PH or hardness and i have bought and tried everything petsmart as told me to try. My water is clear and my fish are all alive if not happy thanks to a furtune in a cemical called prime. If anyone can help I would greatly appriciate it:popcorn:. Hope I can figure out how to get your replies! Also I use gravel in the tank, have three Java ferns and one Amozon sword Plant. Thanks again.

So what's the problem? Why are you wanting to change these things? Granted, a pH of 6 is low but if you show no ammonia or nitrite what is the issue?
What is the pH of your source water?
What is the pH of your source water after it has gassed out for 24 hours?
To lower nitrate increase your PWC schedule and amount to 50% twice a week until it is lower then go back to 50% a week. If it continues to climb back up then go back to 50% twice a week.

sorry still trying to figure out this computer stuff. what I was tring to say is the fish seem stressed and i am kind of nervous about trying to change ph because even though it is low it is stable but I want a natural looking aquarium and cant if the fish arent happy. my ph from the tap is normal I dont knw what i is after 24 hours I just use prime and add water directly to tank.

"Normal" is relative. ;)

First:
Test the pH straight out of the tap.

Next:
Put some tap water in a shallow bowl and, giving it a stir every now and then, test that water after 24 hours (better yet, if you have an air pump, fill a gallon jug 3/4 full and drop in an air line) . This will be the "true pH" of your tap water and what your tank should be sitting at or around.

Those two values MUST be known before you go mucking around with the pH of your tank.

What is the ammonia level in the tank?
What is the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels of your tap water?

If your fish are not acting "normal" (hehe, there's that word again) then I would do a 50% PWC now, wait an hour and then do another one. Wait another hour and test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Also i love prime and it"s all i use but it will lower your PH doing a 50% water change should lower your nitrate by 50% good luck

Used in correct dosages, Prime should not have a discernible effect on pH.

Back
Top Bottom