Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They would both be considered beginner/easy care plants so would be quite popular and most members with plants would've had them at one stage or another!!.
If you do go ahead with either or both the painting/sand, feel free to PM me and I will gladly help you out if needed....

Thank you! I'm sure I will be asking for your advice soon!

On the topic of the background - while painting is great, may I suggest a very temporary option? You might decide you don't like black and if you paint it, it's a pain to change it. I suggest getting some very cheap heavy-duty construction paper. I just bought some for $0.19/sheet. Tape it behind your tank and live with it for a few days. It's not a permanent solution but may really help you figure out what you like the best. So far I've tried dark blue, black and green. The green was okay, but the stuff I just bought is sky blue. I'm going to put it up in the morning; I can't wait to see what It looks like!

On the topic of the background - while painting is great, may I suggest a very temporary option? You might decide you don't like black and if you paint it, it's a pain to change it. I suggest getting some very cheap heavy-duty construction paper. I just bought some for $0.19/sheet. Tape it behind your tank and live with it for a few days. It's not a permanent solution but may really help you figure out what you like the best. So far I've tried dark blue, black and green. The green was okay, but the stuff I just bought is sky blue. I'm going to put it up in the morning; I can't wait to see what It looks like!
That's a good idea. I was torn between dark blue and black. Went with the black in the end. I am very happy with it....

These are the four I've been playing with. I like the blues the most - the light blue is new so I'm going to live with it a few days. I've got black sand and fake plants (for now). Sorry about the glare - it's super bright out today even with the blinds closed. Also ignore the mess in the tank - it's cleaning day, lol.

The darker blue and black I got from my LFS. They're designed to be around water. It's one sheet - one color on either side. All the local and chain places carry them. They have some with pictures too - rocks, waterfalls, forest scenes, corals, etc. They're not very expensive either. Check out Petsmart or Petco - it's on their websites as aquarium backgrounds. Just an alternative to painting. (Although I'm going to paint my 55g - I think it's easier in the long run especially for a larger tank.

image-470879499.jpg

image-2513801620.jpg

image-1569105363.jpg

image-4058365262.jpg

Great idea! I officially have black sand in my aquarium!!!! So happy! Fish are doing very well, with the water being a bit cloudy.

Great idea! I officially have black sand in my aquarium!!!! So happy! Fish are doing very well, with the water being a bit cloudy.
Wow, that didn't take you long. Your husband must be a push-over...haha. I hope you washed it really well. Don't be afraid to post pics!!!!!

Wow, that didn't take you long. Your husband must be a push-over...haha. I hope you washed it really well. Don't be afraid to post pics!!!!!

I did wash it really well! I is no where near done. I ordered both plants you told me to. They will be here this week, so my tank looks pretty bare.

image-1047293272.jpg

I used an old crystal lite container to make a additional cover for my filter intake. I mad it so I don't have to worry about sand getting in it. It's still a bit cloudy, but I love it so far!!

Oh, and my snails are having a much easier time getting across the sand!

I knew you'd love it. It looks great, nice job. Now, can we have a full tank picture please!!!!

Lol, it's not much bigger than the pic I posted. It's only 30 gallons.

image-3420106420.jpg

Like I said, it's pretty bare at the moment. I am thinking about adding more sand...not sure though. Don't mind the breeding net. I am going to take it out. I was trying to save every baby my platies had, and then I joined this site. I have nine babies in a 3 gallon that are going to a new home this week. From now on, my frog can snack on them. I have to figure out what to do with the 3 gallon now. I am thinking about saving a Betta from our Pet Sense, or I've heard Dwarf Puffers do good in 3 gallons. I will have to look into the puffers more... Once my plants get here, both tanks will look much nicer. Oh, my MTS are already happily burrowing away! I can actually watch them now! My husband wants me to keep the background I have right now. He thinks it looks really nice the way it is, and I kind of agree.,.for now! Lol

HI Fishy! Glad you seem to have your tank under control.

I missed the post office today so I'll have your package out tomorrow morning.

Water Sprite is extremely easy to care for. And an added benefit of live plants is that they soak up nitrates. Being its a stem plant it draws its nutrients from the water column. You can either plant it or float it. It really doesn't need much but light lol

Depending on which it will grow differently. And fry love it. It's a perfect hiding place. And also for your tank a half cap of Prime is all you need.

I have a 55 and use about a capful during my weekly PWC's, which average around 20-30%.

And I would keep the 3 gallon for emergencies. That way you can use it to quarantine new fish and treat sick fish separate from your display tank.

HI Fishy! Glad you seem to have your tank under control.

I missed the post office today so I'll have your package out tomorrow morning.

Water Sprite is extremely easy to care for. And an added benefit of live plants is that they soak up nitrates. Being its a stem plant it draws its nutrients from the water column. You can either plant it or float it. It really doesn't need much but light lol

Depending on which it will grow differently. And fry love it. It's a perfect hiding place. And also for your tank a half cap of Prime is all you need.

I have a 55 and use about a capful during my weekly PWC's, which average around 20-30%.

And I would keep the 3 gallon for emergencies. That way you can use it to quarantine new fish and treat sick fish separate from your display tank.

Thank you for updating me!

I think I am going to plant some in each tank. I like the rooted look better. I have a 10 gallon for emergencies. My three gallon was just for my platy fry that I was going to keep. Then I found out about properly stocking my aquarium, and decided against keeping them. They are going to my friends huge tank.

Thank you for updating me!

I think I am going to plant some in each tank. I like the rooted look better. I have a 10 gallon for emergencies. My three gallon was just for my platy fry that I was going to keep. Then I found out about properly stocking my aquarium, and decided against keeping them. They are going to my friends huge tank.
You could use the 3g for some nice Red Cherry Shrimps. Some tiny driftwood, with moss attached. It would look cool....

You could use the 3g for some nice Red Cherry Shrimps. Some tiny driftwood, with moss attached. It would look cool....

That's a good idea... I am kind of caught up in a decision now. I have pretty much decided that I would not put a Pea Puffer in three gallons. I have read conflicting answers, so I won't do it. Do you think 3 gallons would be good for a Betta? The tank came with one of the suction cup filters that runs on an air pump. It has a gentle flow, but works very well. It also has an air stone that came with it. I just redid my three gallon with sand(I couldn't stand it!) I just had to do it! There is a small amount of guppy grass in there too. It also has a heater. I want to make sure that whatever I get, is happy. I know there isn't much to chose from for such a small tank though... Any thoughts? Oh, as it stands now, I do a 50% water change on my three gallon every other day.

I'm not sure if a betta would work in a 3g, it probably would but personally I would go with the RCS. It's something different to what you already have and as I said, I think it would look cool. They look great with the black sand. You have everything you need already.....

I'm not sure if a betta would work in a 3g, it probably would but personally I would go with the RCS. It's something different to what you already have and as I said, I think it would look cool. They look great with the black sand. You have everything you need already.....

Everything but the RCS... I would have to order them.

I agree about the RCS. I have a 2.5 gallon that I'll be using for them once my sponge filter seeds. I think they're cute and I can't wait to see little shrimp babies! :)

I agree about the RCS. I have a 2.5 gallon that I'll be using for them once my sponge filter seeds. I think they're cute and I can't wait to see little shrimp babies! :)

I don't know anything about them! Do they just stay on the bottom? Do they swim? See, I'm clueless! How many can go in three gallons? What kind of plants?

Back
Top Bottom