Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasyker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've heard that members here tend to give out good advice and I have a fish problem I simply do not understand, so I thought I'd register and ask here.:)

I have a 55 gallon tank with 1m and 1f Flameback cichlid (the regular Victorian Flameback, not the Kyoga type), 1m and 3f Mbamba cichlids (4 females until a few hours ago), 1f Red Shoulder (she was sold to me as a female Sunshine peacock, but apparently the seller was mistaken), and 1m Sunshine peacock. As of late, the filter has been on the fritz, occasionally not working and then randomly deciding to work again, but I don't know if this is part of the problem I have currently. I do know that the Ammonia level is between the Caution and Harmful ranges according to my test kits thanks to the lazy filter. The pH is 8.0 and the water is hard. The tank has been set up for over 3 years, although it had to be broken down completely and restarted for a move about 8 months ago. The newest additions to the tank were two of the female Mbambas, who were added about a year and a half ago. There have been no new ornaments, substrate, tank mates, or anything added since then. There was an incident about a month ago where my idiot cat managed to fall into the tank and killed my Calvus cichlid in the process. The fish largely get along, the only exceptions being the occasional squabbles between the female Mbambas, which never last long or cause much damage.

Last night, I noticed one of my female Mbambas gasping at the surface, which is certainly strange since I have more than enough oxygen in the tank coming through air stones. She swam away quickly when I got close though, so I assumed it wasn't a problem. As of a few hours ago, I found her dead at the bottom of the tank. The male Flameback is lying on the bottom, fins clamped, acting like he desperately wants to die. The Peacock is a much lighter color than he should be (almost white in areas), and he has black spots on his fins and a single giant white spot on his left side. I do not know if the black spots are a sign of an illness, or if that has something to do with the tank's substrate being black sand (maybe he's been rubbing on the sand lately?). The fins on all of the fish, including the dying Flameback and the Peacock, are completely intact, with no signs of shredding or damage. Many of the fish are displaying appetite loss, and even tossing food in right in front of the male Flameback would not convince him to eat. I am confused as to what is killing my fish, and I want to stop it before it gets any further. Any advice would be appreciated.

These are images of the fish. The first is the Sunshine Peacock from the front. I could not get him to show me his left side while I had the camera, but the spot is large enough that it can be seen from a frontal image. The second is also the Sunshine Peacock, and show the black spots and abnormally pale coloration. The last is a close-up of the male Flameback. The balls around him are a bit of food I had put into the tank minutes before, in the hopes of spurring him to eat.

img_2582998_0_8a9deae417b086392cc198a47abd1a2a.jpg

img_2582998_1_069fe818ed3c9479864c61757496ecc9.jpg

img_2582998_2_2b8e0607b6ab7c383b42545edb9bbb94.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01136.jpg
    DSC01136.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC01128.jpg
    DSC01128.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC01125.jpg
    DSC01125.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 73
Hi I'm sorry about your fish they look so sad =( I know fresh clean water is a good healer. Looks like you will also need to treat for infection from the pics. I would say bacterial, but am no expert, could be some fungal infection also. I hope you get more responses soon. The only advice I can offer re: med is that IME Melafix, pimafix, and Microbelift special blend and tetra all in one DO NOT work for something this advanced. I've read up a lot on the subject and it seems Maracyn, Maracyn 2(what I'm trying this time), jungle fungus clear. There are more. I hope you get more posts soon, good luck

Welcome to AA!!!

I don't believe any of the issues your having have anything to do with disease but are symptoms of very poor water quality. Strips are inaccurate at best and generally read much lower for toxins than may be present. I believe 'caution' for ammonia is 1-2ppm and 'harmful' is 4ppm? I suspect your levels may be higher than this in reality and you likely have high nitrite as well.

Invest in a proper liquid test kit such as the API fw master test kit and a bottle of Prime. Start doing big water changes with Prime until you can bring your ammonia and nitrite levels below .25ppm and continue to do them daily until your tank stabilizes. I would skip feeding for the next couple of days then only feed minimally once a day until the tank is stable (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, less than 20ppm nitrate). Hopefully, your fish will recover quickly with lots of healthy water. If they do not, there may be additional issues to consider. Please ask if you have questions!

Welcome to AA!!!

I don't believe any of the issues your having have anything to do with disease but are symptoms of very poor water quality. Strips are inaccurate at best and generally read much lower for toxins than may be present. I believe 'caution' for ammonia is 1-2ppm and 'harmful' is 4ppm? I suspect your levels may be higher than this in reality and you likely have high nitrite as well.

Invest in a proper liquid test kit such as the API fw master test kit and a bottle of Prime. Start doing big water changes with Prime until you can bring your ammonia and nitrite levels below .25ppm and continue to do them daily until your tank stabilizes. I would skip feeding for the next couple of days then only feed minimally once a day until the tank is stable (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, less than 20ppm nitrate). Hopefully, your fish will recover quickly with lots of healthy water. If they do not, there may be additional issues to consider. Please ask if you have questions!

I would agree 100% with everything JLK has stated, this is the effects of deteriorating water quality. Ammonia becomes increasingly more toxic at a higher PH, which at over 8ppm they're feeling the effects. If you don't have a test kit maybe a local fish store could test your water. But in the mean time I would be doing large daily water changes in excess of 50-60%, I'd also add aquarium sat dosed at 1tbls per 5 gallons as this will decrease the effects of nitrite poisoning. Then replace the salt only for the amount of water you've replaced.

I'm sorry for the bad advice. I didn't know poor water conditions could cause some of the symptoms you describe. I hope your fish get better!

You can also dose Prime 5x normal dose in emergencies if needed.

It sounds like moving your tank caused it to Cycle again. Thus the super high Ammonia.

Water changes will hopefully save your fish.
Please read up on Cycling your tank.

Don't add any new fish until your tank is stable. Vacuum substrate or hover vac if its sand.

It looks like they have a bit of ich in the pictures, i'd look into that a bit.

having your ammonia readings in the caution to harmful level consistently is probably the cause of it. It should be at 0 and any time it gets over .25 (caution) you need to do a w/c. Your tank can't be cycled anymore if you have the ammonia readings like this so you should probably go out and get a new filter ASAP and put some of your old media in it hoping that some of the good bacteria has survived to help along with the recycle. Adding a bottle of bacteria starter wouldn't hurt either.
Ammonia that high would definitely explain the gasping and loss of color. Do their gills look inflamed?

If your fish do in fact have ich then raise the temp up to 84-86 for a couple weeks and do large daily water changes. 50% recommended.

Good luck and welcome to AA!

You got some excellent info here!

I'm just wondering if you've checked the impeller on your filter and pushed a pipe cleaner through your hoses and connections in case there is a partial blockage. It's always a great idea to have a second filter running as a backup. Hope your fish are feeling better after all the water changes :)

Alright, I'll start with an update on the situation, and then reply to the replies. The male Flameback popped back up a few hours later and is now acting completely normal, swimming around with his fins out and being as active as normal. Similarly, the Peacock's coloration is returning slowly, and I no longer see the black spots. The single large white spot is healing, and since he gave me the opportunity to look closely at it this morning, I can see it's a scale that has been pushed outward, which I assume was likely caused by him running into something in the tank. Sadly, the news is not all good. I found my Red Shoulder, who had previously shown no strange behavior, dead in the corner of the tank this morning.

I had figured the poor water quality due to the lazy filter had something to do with what was happening, but I moreso thought it had allowed a bacteria or fungus to piggyback in while the fish's immune systems were lowered, rather than being the outright cause. I had been changing 10% of the water per day since the last incident with the filter, but it seems that wasn't enough. None of the fish ever showed inflamed gills or red streaking, and the only one to gasp was the female Mbamba who died. That's why I didn't think it was the ammonia itself doing it, but I think you guys are right, and that this is exactly what is happening. I think it's possible the tank is in the midst of a new cycle due to the filter cutting out while I was out of town (thank you, Aqueon). I replaced the filter cartridges and rinsed off the filter media in a bucket of tank water as soon as I got home and discovered the filter. Thanks for the advice about using pipes to help the filter! I'll buy a set and get to work clearing out every part of that filter I can.

I checked the corresponding ppm on the test strips, and this particular company has .5 in the Caution range, and 3 in the Harmful, so the tank water was somewhere between those two when I first posted (super helpful, I know). I haven't tested with the strips again because I want to get a liquid test kit first.

Thanks again for all the help and advice! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom