Help!!! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBenns

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my bumble bee cichlid got himself suck in a little cave a couple days ago and since I got him out he hasn't been eating and I notice last night that his fins are VERY beat up especially his tail. I don't know if he's just getting picked on now (he was the leader/toughest of the tank) or if this is some kind of sickness.

Attachments

• image-2325556815.jpg
    image-2325556815.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 60
  • image-1341873407.jpg
    image-1341873407.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 47
From your pics it looks like it may be fin rot. Can you tell us what your water parameters are?

From your pics it looks like it may be fin rot. Can you tell us what your water parameters are?
I hate to say it but I don't have a test kit (I'm just a teenager without a job, my parents buy my things) the tank is well established and I haven't had any problems yet, I do about 30-50% water changes every week.

It's a 60g tank with 12 African cichlids with a HOB Aqueon quiet flow 55/75 filter for up to 90 gallon tanks

That's understandable. Maybe request one for Christmas? They sell on Amazon for around $20.

Without knowing for sure if there is a water quality issue its hard to say for sure exactly what's going on. I would start with doing an extra 30% water change each week for a while and see if you notice a difference. Make sure you vacuum the substrate thoroughly each time. Melafix can help to prevent secondary infection if it is a battle wound.

That's understandable. Maybe request one for Christmas? They sell on Amazon for around $20. Without knowing for sure if there is a water quality issue its hard to say for sure exactly what's going on. I would start with doing an extra 30% water change each week for a while and see if you notice a difference. Make sure you vacuum the substrate thoroughly each time. Melafix can help to prevent secondary infection if it is a battle wound.
Yea I was planing on getting one for Christmas. I will do the extra water changes. The melafix will also help if it was fun rot too right? If not what will?

I prefer not to medicate without knowing for certain what I'm treating for. The extra water changes should do most of the work. Since melafix is a natural remedy I have no issue with adding it. Some say it does nothing at all, but others swear by it. Either way it won't harm anything.

Back
Top Bottom