Help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jds1990

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone I have had quite the trouble with my discus. I have not been caring for my fish as I should have been lately. The water literally turned brown. I haven't been able to test it. I've added a few things and been doing water changes 3 times a week. They have been doing construction on my waterline in my neighborhood too. I seriously think this has impacted my fish. I plan on getting a test kit this weekend. I've never seen them so ill. They have had gunk in their gills white spots white feces and it's really breaking my heart. I was still changing the water once a week. But I lost my ray angelfish and a few discus ray jumped out knew something was wrong I guess. I seriously think the water quality has decreased I used to drink the water out of the tap and now it is disgusting. To be honest when my tank was in its prime I drink three handfuls out and didn't get sick at all. my sump has the pad changed every 2 to 3 weeks and has 2 uv sterlizers. I know I'm not providing enough info and it may sound scatter brained but I'm seriously worried about my fish the antibiotics the one similar to zpac for humans has helped and the smaller discus are eating again. I've removed all substrate and plants and the larger discus are sick. Their anuses look swollen too which I've never seen same diet beef heart 2 or 3 times a day. I had a cracked phone screen and just got a new one. IF ANYONE KNOWS WHY MY WATER WOULD GET RUST BROWN FOR NO REASON PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I am going to clean out the ceramic rings at the bottom of the sump it has bio balls in the first chamber which I've never cleaned. The pump is still working great if you read all of this thank you. Please help me save my discus!

Here are a few pictures...
[emoji27]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421382331817.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421382331817.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 102
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421382362265.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421382362265.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 100
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421382383436.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421382383436.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 104
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421382401233.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421382401233.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 97
If there has been construction on your tap water line I'd try and get in touch with whoever worked on the line to alert them about the problems with it. If they have white spots all over them it sounds like Ich to me. and no thats not a made up name for a disease haha. I don't know enough about discus to give further advice, hope everything works out.

also if they have long strands of white feces that stick to them that has to do with parasites.

Yes I know about ich dude. Thank you for the reply. Please see the pics. Thanks again
Joel

For starters, yes they are extremely stressed by the pale color displayed. Second, if that's a sump, is that all the biomedia you have ? You need more in there. IMO, it's too many daily feedings for them for the amount of WC's. I agree with the above about contacting whoever did the pipe work as you should not have any discolored water. That may have helped some in the demise of the tank but not nearly as much as not taking care of them. Test kit is an absolute must and ASAP !!! I can't really tell much from the tank pics as the glass is covered in water marks. If you could clean that up a bit and load more pics it would help a great deal going further. As for their gills, it's going to be a combo of everything going on.
Lack of care
Over feeding
Pipe maintenance

Do you have any means of storing water outside of the tank ? Rubbermaid tote, 5 gallon pails, big drum, etc ? I would boil it to try and clear it up a bit or find an LFS that has better water than you locally. You gotta admit, if you won't drink it, it can't be any good for them.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I would find a family member or frown that lives fairly close by but is on a different water source/line and get water from them and do water changes with that. With construction who knows what is in the tap now. If that isn't an option maybe see if a lfs could give you water or even switching a few gallons with bottled water might help too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you for the reply tree man!!! The tank has been setup the same way for a long time! once a week may seem like nothing but not when you have a 30g sump on a 100g tank with a 1000gph pump! That is just the second half of the sump! The other is 100% bioballs! It has stayed clean until they started doing maintenance. It has a genx pcx 40 pump. The tank stayed pristine before and the filter pad would get dirty but would be changed every 2 or 3 weeks. That first section will literally fill up a recycle bin of bio balls! I plan on cleaning out the second and use it for the heaters and uv sterilizers. I Will try to take some pics tomorrow. The tank has been maintained normally till the brown water then I cleaned it every other day and added some additives to clear it up. It was very very disgusting and I've never had any problems as it had been setup for several months until this outbreak. This weekend I will get a test kit. It has a triple over flow box as well and flows very well. I am very mystified and really think it is related to the maintenence in the neighborhood because since then it hasn't been the same. I am getting a test kit this weeekend. Sorry if I sound crude or bragging but I feel as though a 30g sump and a pump rated for 1200gph with a max head of 30ft is overkill for a 100g tank.

Thank you for the reply angela! My mother has a house adjacent from mine and she has been filtering her water she said the same thing about the water!

Unfortunately I don't really know anyone to get good water from and it isn't worth it to me considering I have a 100 gallon tank. I usually drain 50 percent out of the tank or so every water change. They are starting to do better. What arentibiotics would be good for internal parasites and gill flukes?

Before you go starting with meds, you really need to get the water under control. IF you start treating for something that is nonexistent, it WILL do more harm than good. I would really start putting some effort into finding a good water source if you want the slightest chance of the fish to survive.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

The water seems to be in better shape and the smaller discus are eating like hogs. I am guessing this is the end of my discus hobby because I cannot afford to purchase water from a store nor have the time to do so. I have been making my own beef heart and trying to save as much money as possible because I am going to buy a house soon. It sucks but that's life. Thanks for the help and I will make sure they go to good homes.

Well if anyone was curious I cleaned out my sump the portion pictured cleaned the sponges in my uv sterilizers and man oh man was there so much waste in the bottom. I figured the pictures would do it justice but longstory short the discus are doing much better. There is a few that are still sick but the water is clearing up. It is still not perfect like it was. They literally looked like they were floating before. I am getting in contact with JEA (water company in my area) and I am going to get them to test the water out of the tap. If they refuse to help would a Rodi unit help? If so how much are they? I would be willing to shell out some cash so that I can save money in the long run. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom