Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StarB21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is he a cichlid? If so, what type?? He was a rescue and I need help. Do I have to cycle his tank before I put him in? Good temps? pH and dH?? Tank size??

He is currently in a holding container and will be put into a temporary (1-3 weeks) tank (20gal I think). Does it need to be cycled? He is waiting in a holding container... his old tank is a 40-55 not sure

I need help!!!.

Attachments

• received_1081202805571497.jpg
    received_1081202805571497.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 44
  • received_673783340101348.jpg
    received_673783340101348.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 43
I don't know what kind of fish this is... but being in a 'holding container' is little different than being in an uncycled tank. At least in the tank he'd have more room to move around and presumably more water volume. You will still have to cycle the tank with him in it but it's better than him sitting for weeks in whatever container that is. I would set the temp for 72 until you find out more about the fish. That seems like a good temp for most tropical fish (assuming this is one) Is there any way to find out more about this guy from the previous owner?

What's the easiest way to cycle the tank with him in it? I think it's a cichlid, but I'm trying to figure it out. And the previous owner knows nothing, he was surprised the guy lived as long as he did.

Get yourself a test kit and tap water conditioner and get ready to do water changes. Here are some articles on Fish-in Cycling:

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

That'll tell you step by step how to do it. I wouldn't worry about things like pH and gH too much at this point because if you do an acclimation process (which you absolutely should) most fish can adjust to sub optimal pH and messing with pH can be a huge hassle. Unless this fish is a shell dwelling cichlid or something like that. I wish I was more familiar with cichlids but I am only familiar really with angels and discus.

I'm also surprised the little guy lived so long if the owner just tossed it in a tank without even knowing what he had or it's needs.

By the way to acclimate (if you don't know):

Put him into a bag or other container that floats with his current water. Float tge container in the new treated tank to slowly adjust him to the temp. Because we're not at all sure what kind of fish he is or the water he came from I'd also put half a cup of new water into the old and wait 10-15 minutes. Then add another half cup and wait again. Some people do this for hours I personally just do like three times. Then, take him out of the mixed water and put him in the new tank.

Is he a cichlid? If so, what type?? He was a rescue and I need help. Do I have to cycle his tank before I put him in? Good temps? pH and dH?? Tank size??

He is currently in a holding container and will be put into a temporary (1-3 weeks) tank (20gal I think). Does it need to be cycled? He is waiting in a holding container... his old tank is a 40-55 not sure

I need help!!!.

Im 90 percent sure hes a cichlid, maybe not tho. I had a cichlid that looked JUST like him before i took him back to the store cause he kept digging up my sand. Are you brand new to the fish hobby? Where did you get him? If not i would highly recommend taking him to a local petsmart or petco and ask to let them put him in a tank to heal

Angelfish

Hello I'm new here I got this angelfish from a friend who breeds them this one got beat up by a pair twice but made a nice recovery then my friend gave me her(female angel) but today she got 2 white spots on her one side and it isn't ich I attached a picture. She also tends to shake a bit and some times breathes heavy and yes I am getting t9ns more plants for her soon. Just is this treatable if so how and what is it.

Attachments

• 0317201719b.jpg
    0317201719b.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom