help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saywill

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found this while I was cleaning the tank today. I think it is a crab. I also think it is molting. He is in a crevice, so the picture is not so good. I took a picture of part of his shell that fell off. Maybe that will help.

Attachments

• img_0951_168.jpg
    img_0951_168.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 43
  • img_0950_214.jpg
    img_0950_214.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 39
I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. The first picture looks like part of the shell and I don't know what the second picture is of.

At night take a small flashlight and look at the tank a couple hours after lights off. It would be better to use a red light but I've spotted things without it. Look for anything out. About a month ago I finally caught my mantis shrimp and a hitchhiker crab that had been in my tank for a year.

You could also set a trap even if you don't see anything just to see what you catch. Next tank I setup up I'm gonna put traps in there for a couple weeks before I add anything just to make sure I catch anything. For crabs I've found that the shot glass trick works well. Lean a shot glass next to a rock so that a crab can climb into the glass. Put a piece of food in there (I used squid) and then set it over night. The next morning there was this little black crab in there that I had killed (fed to a wrasse at my lfs).

Back
Top Bottom