Helping a friend...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrcrazypants05

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a friend that's going to get a 30 gallon. I suggested a visitherm 250w heater, aquaclear 70/300 filter... and other things. I was just wondering if since I used 2 boxes of 110/500 BioMAX biological media for my tank that maybe I could switch out one of my bags of biomax with the bag that comes with his filter. How would that help his cycle? The tank I use them in is a 125 gallon with a higher bio load. I know it won't effect my tank because the gravel has bacteria as well. Will this speed up his cycle much? He doesnt need it right away, but im sure like everyone else if it gets done in a week or two thats great...

It will definitely help jump-start the filter. If you can give up a small handful of gravel, put some in a new sock or pantyhose and place it in their tank on the bottom. That will help seed the bottom as well.

yes they are... would you recommend just dosing with pure ammonia since im giving most of the bacteria on the BioMAX? I've got plenty of gravel to put in a sock too...

Yes, you can just dose with ammonia. Since you are jumpstarting the system, use about 3-4ppm ammonia initially, then when the ammonia goes to 0ppm, just dose 2ppm thereafter, til both ammonia and nitrite drop to 0 in 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom