hermit crabs not really moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noob2saltH20

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I added 3 blue legged hermits to my tank two days ago. They have been in the same spot for the last two days. They are alive I know that but they are not moving around my tank.My sg is at .26 and my water is great. My temp was sitting at 75 ( it was one of those pre set heaters u can't adjust) so I went out and bought a marineland adjustable heater and slowly raied the temp tp 79. Am I doing something wrong to cause them not to be active?

The guy at my lfs store said mine and their sg was the same and he said to add a little of my tank water to the bag every 5 min for 15 min which is what I did

How much is a little tank water? Did you float the bag in your tank also? Differences in salinity and temperature can send inverts into shock. 15 minutes is NOT enough acclimation time; IMO.

I'm guessing that you're going to have to just wait and see. I can't say that they are in shock but that may explain the lack of movement. Maybe they just need another day or two. With acclimation, I've used the process you used. But I tend to drag it out longer; probably about an hour or so. Lights off too.

Three weeks may not have been long enough for the tank to cycle. I know you used cured LR but how much do you have? Were the levels right before you added the crabs?

Back
Top Bottom