Hexagonal discus tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm getting a 60g hex tank for free from my aunt and I'm considering using it as a discus tank. I know there aren't much options regarding a hex tank which is why I opted to go with fresh instead of salt with this one. I figured I'm down to either discus or angels but would rather discus since I've wanted them for so long.

It would be a heavily planted tank with maybe 4 discus, more if possible, some cardinals, otos, and possibly some sterbai or albino cories.

As for filtration, I wouldn't go with anything else but a canister.

Thoughts?

Sounds good to me. Make sure your getting your discus from a good breeder that has quality stock, very very important. Your stocking sounds perfect to me, I would say two discus to start with all the other fish so you know you can keep up the pristine water conditions needed for discus. Also, make sure your water flow from the filter isn't to strong, they don't like currents. Nice tall plants like ancharis, giants hair grass, vallisneria, and swords. The more research the better when it comes to discus.

If all goes well, how many discus do you think I can have? 5-6? I don't want to put too many either.

As far as aquascaping goes, I want to line the backside of the aquarium with taller plants like vals and such, middle and back with some smaller plants, maybe some carpeting ones, and moss covered driftwood. Basic aquascaping but heavily planted.

My concern is the canister. I'm afraid I'll have too much flow and I don't want to go with a weak canister either. Since it is a hex tank there isn't much spread for the output and the top of the tank will have considerable flow. Any ideas or other options I can consider?

I don't have any first hand experience with discus, but I have researched them extensively. I want to put one in my basement when it is finished. Which might take longer then I was hoping...finance just got pregnant! But I do have a lot of experience with other sensitive South American cichlids. So now that's out of the way...

A hex tank dosent have a large footprint so the water could go bad quickly. You should get it all setup with the plants and other fish first and then test the water weekly and make sure it isn't building up nitrites to quickly. Then when you know its stable add the two discus. Then test daily to know when the nitrites go any higher then 10ppm, at this point you know you need a water change. If it takes more then a week then you can add another, then repeat the process. If your willing to do daily water change you could probably do 4.

Forgot about the filter. Your best bet would be to get the output as low as possible, so that the current is on the bottom. The discus can then hang out on the top half where the current is weaker.

Alright, I'll try my best with filter placement. I was thinking wither a fluval 306 or eheim 2213. Might go with the eheim since it is cheaper.

Will also attempt 4 discus. I will likely setup a drip system that changes out water everyday.

Oh and congrats on the pregnancy!

Thanks. I will only buy fluval, never have failed me, and the customer service is fantastic. Worth the extra $$ for me. Do you have a good breeder you can get them from?

Yes, I've seen a breeder not to far from here who has some beautiful looking discus. Sells them at 15$ for a 3"

Well you are lucky! The cheapest I can get are $30 and they look half dead. Nice ones at my favorite place go for $60-$100! That part of why I'm so hesitant. Having a $100 bill go down the toilet is a shame.

I could imagine! Well, it's always worth a shot if you're ready to take the plunge.

Yeah. I was getting a bunch of hate for wanting to put discus in a 55g, and even a 75g was on the small side. Of course, they are discus fanatics, but I would think putting them in a hexagon wouldn't be the best option. Of course, you could do it. But maybe not the best idea. Like I said, you can ask there.

If im correct the 60 hex is only 27 1/2 " wide so as Scottyhorse said it most likely wont work for them. How ever I have no experience with Discus.
I would post this on the link Scotty posted.

Alright, thanks guy! I'll give it a shot over there! Hopefully if all goes well I should have a build thread up and running.

I think you could keep a pair, but not 4. Buying a pair is going to be expensive though.

I have a club friend that breeds discus. He keeps his breeding pairs in 20 gallon high tanks. The hex isn't going to be much longer than the 20 high, so I really wouldn't advise more than a pair. Groups can be rough on one another; they are cichlids after all.

15 for 3" discus sounds almost too good to be true. My club friend's fish are 20 for 2" fish and that's cheap given the quality. His adults are the size of dinner plates... Drool worthy. ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I could only imagine! I'm hoping that these discus are indeed well kept.

I still have a lot of planning and thought to put into this. I have posted on simplydiscus to see what their input is. I knew what I was getting into in regards to a hex tank but it was free so why not!

My club friend's fish? They are truly babied. He keeps and raises show quality fish. They're incredibly well cared-for.

I think it's iffy for someone who has never kept discus before, but not impossible. The trick is going to be growing out your juvies to get a pair vs. being able to afford an adult pair (often several hundred dollars for good fish).

Oh, I meant my local breeder lol I'm sure your club member is a great breeder.

Do you think I should go with a single pair alone or would tank mates work?

Well, everyone advised me to go with a mated pair over at simply discus. Although, I can try having 4 I do risk the chance of stunting their growth.

I'm going to put a little more thought into this project. I may consider the hex as a grow out and purchase a tank with a bigger footprint in the future. I'm not sure yet.

Back
Top Bottom