Hi all, another newbie to this site in need of advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, my names alex
I've been keeping fish fora number of years, mostly south american cichlids and more recently koi.
I have 3 adult severum, texas, 3 fire mouths, 2 blue acaras and 2 pleks.

Iv never really had many problems with any of my fish over the years until just recently out of the 3 severums, 1s golden the other two are green (father/daughter) I've had him for around 8yrs now, he was fully grown then around the 8/9 inch mark..
Anyway, couple months ago he fell quite ill. Started off like white spot, rotting fins, cloudy eyes, lethargic n not eating, have found out since he has hole in the head. Hes been treated for this and any other secondary infections n seems to be making ok progress and has been for about 3 weeks, until it comes to feeding.

This is were i need some advice..
He lost drastic amounts of weight whilst he was ill through starving himself, i have tried everything to get him to eat, not interested in anything. I have had to resort to force feeding him through syringe n catheter for weeks now n he still won't eat on his own.
Unfortunately this seems to be stopping working, iv noticed over the past 3 days that hes regurgitating anything i do seem to get into him after after 5/10mins, its like he coughs a couple times n up it comes within about 4/5 coughs.
Why won't he keep it down? Have his insides just given up or what?

Has anybody ever had experience in force feeding fish and had a success story?
I'm at my wits end with what to do next, he doesn't look to be suffering but how do u tell?
He is starting to look very skinny, am i fighting a loosing battle??
I dont wanna give up on him, unless its causing him more problems than its worth.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Cheers alex

Back
Top Bottom