Hi all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matti

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to keeping fish and have a 10 gallon starter tank with 4 oranda and 1 Blackmore, with live plants, only been set up for 2 weeks now water is very clear all fish are doing well (fingers crossed) hope to upload some pics soon and start chatting with some other users

Hi Matti and welcome!!! Do you have an API freshwater test kit? If not, pick up one ASAP & a good water conditioner such as Prime. I am sorry to have to tell you this, but you are heavily, heavily overstocked. Five fancies need atleast a 60gallon tank minimum. 10g is really too small for even a single fancy. I would honestly do 50% water changes with temperature matched, properly conditioned water atleast twice daily until you can address your stocking situation- once you get a test kit, you may have to do this even more frequently based on your toxin levels. At only 2wks in, your tank is likely not properly cycled as well- heres a link with more information. Please do not hesitate to ask questions!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Thankyou for your advice, I must have been told wrong information by my local pet store they are a very large company called pets at home I did ask how many fish I could stock in the size tank that I also purchased from them, I asked them on 2 separate occasions and both times said 7 so I thought I won't take their advice and do 2 less than what they recommended.

Unfortunately, the advice offered by alot of chain stores is very poor & misinformed. They are a business after all and profits are regarded as the primary objective. I am sorry you were victim of such bad advice. Its always best to do your research on your own first before purchasing fish so you are familiar with their housing requirements, diet, compatability, etc before commiting to the responsibility of ownership and proper care of any living creature. If you decide to keep these guys, we will do our best to help you! :)

Thankyou once again I have the money to purchase a much larger tank in the next 2 months , if you have any advice on what size environment for the 5 that I have would be very appreciated.

Thanks all advice has been taken onboard I am taking immediate action I have the money am getting a larger tank on Saturday, borrowed some money :) thanks mum and dad lol.

Yes, you can away with a 55g as long as you stay on top of your water changes. If you dont have a python/similar type of water changer, it would be wise to invest in one to make water changes ALOT easier on a big tank. You will also need adequate filtration- goldfish need filter(s) capable of turning over the tank 10x an hour. You can accomplish this with either two large HOBs (hang on back) filters or a canister- you will need to look at the 'gph' (gallons per hour) of the filters your considering and aim for a minimum of 600gph. An airstone or some bubble wands are good idea as well.

I am not sure what your are feeding them but make sure its a quality sinking goldfish pellet (no flakes or floating stuff)- Hikari, Pro-gold & NLS all make quality foods. Also make sure you offer them daily, plain cooked veggies (spinach, broccoli florets, deshelled peas, zucchini, etc). Please ask if you have any more questions! :)

Back
Top Bottom