Hi and seeking answers/advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shealot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, my name is Eli. I’m fairly new to keeping fish. I recently bought a five gallon tank and am learning a lot and apparently making mistakes. My tank is still cycling and I’m doing it with fish in. I have a tiny Cory Cat and (had) a Dalmatian Molly, which I really liked. She died today and I’m rather sad and trying to figure out why she died. Obviously it could be for any number of reasons. But I’d love help pinpointing it if possible so I know what to do and what not to do in the future.
Soooo.... I went to the fish store today and got my water tested. Ammonia levels were low to nothing but nitrites were high. The guy suggested I do a water change and said if I wanted to, I could “seed” the tank so as to make it cycle quicker. He didn’t necessarily recommend it but said I could. So they loaned me some gravel from one of their aquariums and put it in a new mesh bag I bought to put in my tank. I went home, did the wc, and put the gravel in. And the Molly seemed to be perfectly fine. Kinda surprising seeing as the nitrite levels were so high previously. Anyway, probably in 30 minutes I checked on them again, and there she was, dead. I was so shocked and sad. So I’m looking for answers. Maybe I’ll never know, but if I can I’d like to know what I did wrong.

Sorry this is so long. Thanks for any help!

Back
Top Bottom