Hi everyone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sterfri99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good afternoon, people of this forum. Truthfully, I'm joining this forum because I'm having some trouble with my tank (I'll make a thread about this in the relevant area), but first I'll introduce myself. I'm a young adult from New York, working as an EMT. I've been fishkeeping for some years now, really got into it while working at Petsmart in the pet care section. Figured it's about time I joined a forum for it, both to gather information and learn more, while also helping other people with what I've learned over the years. Thanks for letting me in to your community, and I hope you all have a lovely day :fish1:

Hello ster...

Welcome. If you're experiencing problems with your tank, it's probably a water problem. Since water makes up 90 percent of the stuff in the tank, that's typically the source of a problem. What's your water change routine?

B

Hello ster...

Welcome. If you're experiencing problems with your tank, it's probably a water problem. Since water makes up 90 percent of the stuff in the tank, that's typically the source of a problem. What's your water change routine?

B

It's a 20 gallon long, I do 10% weekly and 20% monthly. I have 0 nitrates, nitrites, chlorine, or ammonia (planted tank keeps nitrates nice and low). pH is ~7. The problem I'm seeing is my water hardness is ~300 GH ppm and the alkalinity is also very high (200-300 KH ppm) per my test strips. I was looking for advice on how to get those back to normal parameters, as my plants don't seem to be doing so well despite fertilizer, and I just lost a guppy.

EDIT: Made a thread with more detailed info http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...y-plants-looking-good-370689.html#post3532265

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello ster...

B

It seems my reply was deleted after adding a link to the post I made on this site. No offense intended, but I don't believe my water change schedule to be a concern. I used to work at a LFS and I follow my own advice. 10% weekly, 20% monthly with a water conditioner added every time. It's a planted tank and not overstocked with fish and my nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, chlorine, etc... are all great. I just have crazy high hardness and alkalinity (but good pH). The post I made can be found under: Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks. I'd link to it but I think that's why my last post was deleted after editing it in.

About 46 years but there were a couple breaks in between. After learning in 2012 here, there is a nitrification cycle, not to change my filter pads :eek: my fish keeping life has been better and better !!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom