Hi. I'm getting back into aquaria...yahoo!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sugarshane

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm setting up a 40g FW planted community. I found the tank, stand and hood at the rubbish tip :) I've cleaned it superbly and I am encouraging my young children to enjoy this hobby. Years ago I had a 50g FW with a couple of oscars until the stand collapsed and naturally the tank smashed!

This site has provided some much needed information for our project. Thanks to all you experts out there! Now a couple of quick questions...

1. Being a complete novice with canister filters I am wondering if I should use the spray bar across the back wall of the tank? (I think this would be the best look/sound) OR use the duck bill in the water? (I think this would create better water flow therefore better filtration). I'm just a little worried the spray bar will not create enough flow and the tank will have dead spots. Is this a worry? Tank dimentions are 36wx18hx15d. Filter is new "aqua one aquis cf1000" with a operating flow rate of 700l/h. The stock I intend to have are not bothered by turbulance.

2. I intend to take the advice on this site and start a fishless cycle in the next week or so. I have a friend with a couple of tanks (he has kept fish all his life). I'm wondering if I borrow some gravel, media, driftwood or ornaments to seed into my tank, could that possibly introduce some nasties into my tank? Should I test his water? (that might offend him:p)

Thanks heaps for the advice/knowledge I have gained from this wonderful site. I can't wait to get back into aquariums!...Peace...

welcometoaa.gif

Back
Top Bottom