Hi, I'm new here and need assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MargieB

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 44 gallon hex. currently without fish. I have had this tank for many years. Something?? killed my fish. I completely took the aquarium down, replaced filters and gravel. Set the tank back up and it has been cycling for about 3 weeks. My problem is the PH. We are on a well and the water goes through a water softener. The water comes out of the tap at 7.4, within 24 hours the PH jumps to 8.8. I have tried ph down from API, as well as the Proper Ph 7.5. I have also gotten a tap water filter. I am running out of ideas.:confused:

First of all welcome to AA. I would post your questions in the FW or SW forums here at the site as this is the welcome wagon. Again welcome aboard.

That's some really high ph. I have well water and mine hangs around 6.3. What type of fish are you interested in? You could do african cichlids with that ph. You could also try using a few pieces of natural driftwood. The tannins they leak out will help lower the ph.

Back
Top Bottom