Hi-tech planted Conversion - UPDATES - Feb.28.2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
very very nice looking tank. I'm glad the wife did well with it.

BTW, you don't care if the CRS and the Bumblebee shrimp interbreed? seems like that could ruin a nice breeding farm of CRS.

Ya, she did a good job. Even caught an issue with a kink in one of the hoses on the new XP3.

I was thinking about that the crossbreeding thing, but honestly I don't know the first thing about shrimp breeding and related issues... I think the ones I am getting are "bee" shrimp actually, but they looked the same as the bumblebees to me.

Perhaps I should keep some of them in my smaller tank while I figure things out. Any good sources for shrimp breeding information?

I have been playing around with my camera settings. I set the exposure to 400, E.V. to -2.0 (the lowest setting), turned off half the lights and got a few snapshots... still have reflections in the glass to deal with, but didn't want to wait until the dead of night. I guess these are a little better, but still feel like a moron with a camera...

DSC06539.JPG

DSC06547.JPG

DSC06554.JPG

WOW, much nicer. MUCH MUCH nicer.

Now, if you are like me, you will have that puppy printed out and hanging at work. LOL.

The PlantedTank has some good stickies on breeding Cherry Red Shrimp and Crystal Red Shrimp in their Shrimp Forum. You could also check out the Shrimp and Invert Forum at APC. ShrimpNow is devoted to shrimp and is a very friendly international forum. Petshrimp has some biased but generally good info on shrimp. I would avoid the forum as its more aimed at supporting the site sales that sharing info. Freshwater Inverts is a well recommended source for shrimp and has some general information about a large variety of species and has some nice articles.

Thanks for the links Purrbox! Looks like I really just need to keep the CRS and the CBS (Bee Shrimp) separated.

I just did a 30% water change on my 3g with the cherry's and found one dead this morning (first causality). Everyone else seems ok. I changed the water out with water from my larger tank which has a high level of nitrate... I was reading in one of your links about Cherry Shrimp sensitivity to Nitrate and am wondering if I will have a problem adding these guys to my main tank where I am maintaining a level somewhere in the 50ppm range ... ?

The 8 that I moved across to the main tank the other day have not turned up dead, though I have only seen a couple of them foraging around since...

// EDIT // -- Moved to it's own thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=89119

I just thought what happens if you connect the outtake of one xp3 to the intake of the other and finalize the others outtake to the tank?

I have to think that you would up the flow rate through one spraybar, but most likely you would have less flow than having the two separate... I like having two intakes and two outtakes, though I have to admit the idea of wiring it up like that never crossed my mind... I am sure someone has done this before, somewhere...

Another quick update -- today a few of the plants were showing signs of true pearling. Mostly just collections of bubbles on the tips and edges of the leaves, with a few steady bubble streams working at different rates throughout the day.... Hurray!

Then, this evening I did a PWC and the "false pearling" is out of control! I am used to it bubbling up everywhere for an hour or two, but it has been more than three hours and bubbles are still flying out of nearly everything in the tank... endless streams of countless bubbles and it is not showing any signs of letting up... I know these pics don't do it justice, but here they are anyways:

DSC06555.JPG

*** UPDATE *** NOW ABOUT 8 WEEKS IN ***

Well, I have been playing around with my camera, and am getting a little better with photos. Since I first posted this I have had some significant changes in fish... Some casualties from an accidentally OD of NO3 (1 Oto, 1 SAE, 1 RCS), others found new homes (all the clowns, the rainbow shark, and most recently my blue gourami)...

I updated my profile / myinfo with my latest fish stocking information if you are interested.

The biggest change in the last two weeks is my new light, received and setup yesterday: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=89400

So this morning, after my weekly PWC, I set out to snap some more pics of the tank... Sorry if this post is getting a bit large, but I love seeing other's photos, so I am hoping others feel the same:

I had to shuffle some plants around this morning after trimmings. One of the swords got move up to the front corner for now, since I am kind of out of space in the back...

DSC06730.JPG

DSC06738.JPG

DSC06742.JPG

I had my wife help me rotate my hood around the other way this morning, which has made the cord arrangements a bit better and will place my moonlights more directly over the tank. Perhaps tonight I will try and get some pics with the moonlights on.

DSC06742.JPG

DSC06746.JPG

I also realized last night that the light was blowing hot air right near my thermostat, making it believe the house was much warmer... Another good reason to turn the hood around. There is a fan on ones side that blows the heat through and out the other side:

DSC06749.JPG

DSC06752.JPG

A few more shots of the plants to the left:

DSC06763.JPG

DSC06767.JPG

DSC06779.JPG

Since I removed the gourami, who I suspected of eating $90 worth of shrimp, I have seen some of the come out of hiding... Whewww...

DSC06786.JPG

My kids begged from some aquatic frogs... they are pretty clumsy things and even if they did want to try and eat the shrimp I don't think they are clever enough... The shrimp completely ignore them:

DSC06788.JPG

DSC06789.JPG

DSC06790.JPG

Ok, bare with me... just a few more pics. The Red Nose Shrimp are really hard to get pics of, probably because they like to hang around too close the top around the light... Here are a couple attempts:

DSC06804.JPG

DSC06802.JPG

The Nerites are laying eggs everywhere... Perhaps the season?

DSC06826.JPG

Finally a really bad shot of the Kuhli Loach, out and about:

DSC06828.JPG

That tank is looking better with every picture.

dapellegrini said:
I also realized last night that the light was blowing hot air right near my thermostat, making it believe the house was much warmer... Another good reason to turn the hood around. There is a fan on ones side that blows the heat through and out the other side:

LOL, would have never thought of that.

Too long, no way. keep em coming. (I guess it is camera day, I better get busy!)

Congratulations on the pearling!

Great log.

czcz said:
Congratulations on the pearling!

So this morning, after my weekly PWC, I set out to snap some more pics of the tank...

LOL. :lol:

(not saying there aren't, just thought that was funny, sorry. With that amount of light/CO2 and ferts I sure hope they do)

Ya, the pearling in these latest photos could be attributed to false... 2 hours after PWC... however, I have had non-stop pearling now for the last week or so... get's insane after PWC.

I was referring to the pearling mentioned in last weekend's update :)

I may post this up in a new thread.... HOW TO SPEND $2k on a Freshwater setup. I can't say I am unhappy with the end result, and I went into it with the intent of spending what was necessary. Still cheaper than going Reef, IMO...

Since I can't find a good way to post this grid up in the forum, here is the spreadsheet

http://www.publiclogic.com/fish/Fish_Expenses.xls

dapellegrini said:
I may post this up in a new thread.... HOW TO SPEND $2k on a Freshwater setup. I can't say I am unhappy with the end result, and I went into it with the intent of spending what was necessary. Still cheaper than going Reef, IMO...

Since I can't find a good way to post this grid up in the forum, here is the spreadsheet

http://www.publiclogic.com/fish/Fish_Expenses.xls

I have all my receipts from my endeavour into this planted realm, if you will, and I do not dare to add them up. :oops:

I will not even look at that speadsheet. :cry:

Well a couple of days ago I saw a post from JDogg about Dwarf Puffers, reminding me how much used to like my old brackish puffers 10+ years ago... So yesterday when I saw some at the LFS, I thought "hey why not" and bought 5 of them... They are about 1/4 the size of the neons, rummynose, etc, and I watched nearly every other fish check them out to see if they were food... Good... I have heard these guys can get aggressive, so I would rather that they understand their place early... We will see how it works out, but I really like odd-ball fish like this. Here is a blurry shot of two DP zipping by the rummies and neons.

DSC06835.JPG

Lower, left-middle against the black background, there is one more...

DSC06838.JPG

Hanging out in the Val:

DSC06842.JPG

DSC06846.JPG

I also got a better shot of one of the Red Nose Shrimp climbing around on one of the Swords:

DSC06934.JPG

And finally, here are some full-dark, moonlight shots:

DSC06981.JPG

DSC06994.JPG

DSC06986.JPG

That last one is a shot over the top of the tank. So the layers go: Light/hood -- Glass Tops -- Water Reflection showing Moon Leds.

I wonder if having strong moonlights in a freshwater could have any adverse effects.... These suckers are BRIGHT when I have them cranked up all the way. But I guess no brighter than being outside with a full moon... Do plant even recognize LEDs?

Back
Top Bottom