Hiding cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello again. Last week I asked some of you about adding another fish to my tank, and was told not too because of its size. I've taken that advice, but now I need some more.

I've had my firemouth and convict for about 8 days now, and I have a problem of them hiding. The convict didn't eat until 4 days after I put them in, and the firemouth just ate today. The convict will occasionally chase the firemouth, when I get to see them, but most of the time they are hiding together behind a piece of driftwood. It's been very difficult to feed them, as when they do make an appearance it isn't long and when I approach the tank they swim off and hide.

The convict is for sure female, and as for the firemouth because it's so small I have no idea. The convict is about 2", and the firemouth is about 1 3/4". The convict is nowhere near as colorful as it was when I bought it, but I was under the impression it was adjusting to the new tank. It's been 8 days, so wouldn't they have adjusted by now? Could it be another problem, or should I just be patient and give them another week or two?

http://i.imgur.com/jUxunh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VxJhn.jpg

This was taken last week, and at least since then my swords/anacharis have shown significant growth, but I didn't really buy the stand and aquarium setup for some low maintenance plants, lol.

Here's some info not sure whats needed:
20 gallon long
17w zoo medultra sun @ 10 hours/day
Aquaclear 50 w/ 2 foam pads+bio bag
100w Jager heater @ 77f
Trying to feed NLS cichlid formula

Give it time mate, I'm all new to this to. I didn't see my fish for the first couple of weeks when I first set my tank up. Now, they just about bust through the glass when I walk into the room! Fish are out all the time. Give it a few more weeks and they'll get better

Hiding

Yes...give them more time. I did'nt see my firemouth for about 2 weeks! Now he is the first to great me, morning and evening feeding times. The "hungry" dance they do now is comical ! I have got to put it to music ! They will come around...be patiant !

They are still babies its natural that they are skittish because they don't want to be eaten by predators.

Ah, ok. I was just getting a bit worried because I had seen other articles online mention only 2-3 days of hiding/not eating. Guess I'll just give them some more time and hope for the best.

I just looked up some info on 'dither fish'. Would that help? Or is it too late to add them?

I would just give them more time they are really small so they may hide a little longer.

personally imo cichlids are very smart they get to know you whenever i feed my fish i wash my hands very good then feed them omega one super color cichlid pellets (sinking) and hikari cichlid gold pellets (floating) but i grab a pinch of both and hold them like 3 inches deep in the water and then the fish get to know that i am the one feeding them and they come eat from my fingers. i have had my 9 cichlids for about 3 weeks now and they are starting to get the hang of it. its really cool they go nuts when i walk in my apartment

Well, today I added some dithers, 5 black skirt tetras and the difference is night and day. Both cichlids are out in the open and much more active. The convict is even schooling with the black skirts! It's also starting to show the black stripes as I seen when I first got her. I was told these are the less riskiest tetra to put in here, as sometimes tiger barbs/serpae tetra will nip at other fish or cichlids will kill them, so I'll see how long this 'peace' lasts.

Back
Top Bottom