High ammonia levels in tap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robbyno22

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently moved, and noticed that my ammonia level is hovering around .25. I tested the tap, and it registered between .5-1. What can I do to remedy this? Fwiw I have 0 trites and 10 treated, do gravel vac and 25-50% WC every week. I'm at about 50% stocked right now, and tank is planted. I will be adding a second filter temporary to seed it for my qt tank, and eventually upgrading my filter and media...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It should be fine as long as you do smaller, more frequent water changes. Doing 25% twice weekly will be best. That way, when you change the water, it will stay around .25 for ammonia.

I had this problem also but my tank was going through a mini cycle so i needed to remove ammonia so I went out an bought half the amount of water in my tank in gallons of spring water from the grocery store. It's a pain to buy it, temp match it, and transport them around but I haven't had a problem with ammonia since I started doing this.

Hi there
When doing your water changes you could try adding seachem prime to your water it claims to get rid of ammonia it could be worth a try

Back
Top Bottom