High/low light, substrates and a fish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimmoKun

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a few questions regarding "high/low" lights and substrates.

I've read that high/low light means that the plants are high and low maintenance and I also heard that "high" light means 3 watts per gallon. I was hoping someone could clarify this for me. I'm a little confused. :blink:

I'm currently using Fluval stratum (the guy at the aquarium store suggested this for me). I have just purchased some Monte Carlo carpeting plants. I've read mixed reviews on the size of the Fluval stratum substrates. Are they good for carpeting or should I use something finer?

Lastly, my tetra cardinals have been knocking off one by one. I had 7 total, two committed suicide by getting an air-tan, and two suddenly died and one went missing, thus that leaves me with 2 left. :( I'm thinking my pH may have killed the sudden two (pH 6.6) but is there any known reason why they jump out of the water? My Molly is fine (doesn't go up for air so I think I don't have a problem with oxygen) and my Gourami is doing fine too.

Thanks much for helping an amateur. :flowers:

Some species are just jumpers... I would look into getting a lid.

As far as low/med/high light, as you go up into a higher PAR rating you get a higher intensity of light on the tank. Some plants just like a lot of light while others need high lighting to survive.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom