High Nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

W1nt3rsh0wl

Aquarium Advice Regular
My nitrates are dangerously high and don't know how large of a water change i should do

It's a 38 gallon aquarium with a nitrate level of 100+ ppm with a gold severum a clown loach 2 Australian rainbow fish and a rainbowshark, how much of a water change and how often should I do one to lower my nitrates?

First I'd test your tap water. Then I would start immediately with at least a 50% WC tonight. Add new water of the same temp and treat the tank size with conditioner, not just the water your changing. Check your parameters in 12 hours and do it again. Continue over the next couple days to get it down 20 or less.

What is your current WC schedule now ? Feel free to answer AFTER the WC.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

If you haven't done a water change in a long time I would not do a 50% change.

I you have been doing regular changes than a 50% change should be fine with your fish.

I would do a 25% water change now and then test your tapwater.

If your tapwater does NOT test high for nitrates then do a 50% change tomorrow and every following day until the level lowers sufficiently.

Also, if you are using the API nitrate test kit, be aware that not following the instructions to the letter will result in an inaccurate reading.

I tested my water and called my water treatment plant, both resulted in zero for ammonia nitrite and nitrate with a ph of 7.5

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Should I do a 50% water change every day or in smaller increments? 50% every day seems a little risky.

I tested my water and called my water treatment plant, both resulted in zero for ammonia nitrite and nitrate with a ph of 7.5
OK, this means you are not doing enough water changes for the fish in your tank if it has built up that high.

As for the amount of water to change, I would do 25% at least once maybe twice before switching to 50%. Basically, the closer the water in your tank is to the tap water, the safer a large change is. Since the water is pretty different right now I would start with 25% but once it gets closer you can do bigger changes.

Removing x% of the water removes x% of the nitrates.

Just remember to make sure the temperature matches.

Ok. I'll raise the water change size hopefully not stress out the fish too much. I need some plants to help with keeping the nitrates in check, any recommendations?

Horn wort and anacharis suck up a lot lf nitrates

Back
Top Bottom