High Nitrite Levels!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourFRESH

Aquarium Advice Freak
alright, i've been testing my water on a 10 gallon QT tank with one fish in it. it's a fairly new tank (about a month old now) and i have had a sick fish in there that i am trying to cure. i foolishly added a fish to it a week after running the aquarium, without checking the levels until about a week after i had the fish in there.

well, it's been a month and after RECENTLY finally doing another water test, i find my nitrites are extremely high (like about 2.0 at least) and nitrates are 10. the fish is looking really stressed lately, and i've been doing a LOT of water changes, but it's obviously not helping the nitrites.

so i'm wondering, what do i need to do to save this fish? should i keep doing water changes or stop so i can let the cycle complete?

Stopping water changes will cycle your tank, but it will also kill your fish. Do as said above, 75% water changes for the next 2-3 days to get the levels down, then 50% daily or every other day til it's cycled. It'll still take another month or so to complete the cycle, or a little less. Generally cycling is done in 6-8 weeks.

Put a filter in or on the tank containing media from an established setup, and you won't have to wait for the tank to cycle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom