High Nitrite Tap Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennabob

Aquarium Advice Newbie
For background: This involves a cycled 3-gal tank with weekly 50% water changes, containing a single male betta

It appears my water company has changed some of its processes lately: Straight out of the tap, my change water is showing 2-3 ppm for nitrites (according to test strips.) I've treated and overtreated with Amquel+ and Novaqua, and am currently using Seachem Prime, but neither will bring down the nitrites to a safe level.

All I've been able to do is scoop out my betta into a cup and let the tank bacteria work its magic on the change water; Igor's about as pleased with this as being subjected to high nitritres.

Should I start just doing smaller water changes, so the nitrites are more diluted? Would a drop of bottled bacteria to the change water and a little time clear them up? Or will I be forced to invest in a RO system? Any advice is appreciated!

"The MCLG for nitrates has been set at 10 parts per million (ppm), and for nitrites at 1 ppm, because EPA believes this level of protection would not cause any of the potential health problems described below....

Short-term: Excessive levels of nitrate in drinking water have caused serious illness and sometimes death. The serious illness in infants is due to the conversion of nitrate to nitrite by the body, which can interfere with the oxygen-carrying capacity of the childs blood. This can be an acute condition in which health deteriorates rapidly over a period of days. Symptoms include shortness of breath and blueness of the skin.
Long-term: Nitrates and nitrites have the potential to cause the following effects from a lifetime exposure at levels above the MCL: diuresis, increased starchy deposits and hemorrhaging of the spleen."

First order of buisness is to call your water company and complain

If the nitrite is truly that high, you won't want to drink it!! <And definitely do NOT feed it to babies ... they cannot handle nitrites or nitrates & get the same problem as nitrite poisoning in fish - met-hemoglobinemia.>

In the short term, you might want to use bottled water or DI water from the grocery store, both for drinking & for pwc's. The water co. should be fixing this .... I wouldn't think that they can sent out drinking water with levels outside of the EPA guidelines.

Didn't realize this was a level unsafe for people @_@ I knew it made my betta just float and gasp a while, but wow...

I am using test strips right now, so that might be what's making it look so very bad. *Puts liquid test kits on shopping list* Thanks for the heads up, I'll switch to bottled water until I get a more accurate number.

Update: Checked out my water with a liquid kit; straight from the tap, nitrites are 1 ppm (phew!) After treating with Prime, I can get it to 0 ppm.

So looks like I have no explanation for the original problem: After a water change, even with treated water, my fish will just hang near the top of the tank and gasp. What else could cause this?

Back
Top Bottom