High Nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jnthn932 said:
Yeah. Still at one and really cloudy now. I'm about to add tetra fresh start to my filter.

I would use Seachem Prime as for your water conditioner

Alot of people recommend that one. Its too late for my 20 gallon but I'm defiantly going to use it on my 150.

Jnthn932 said:
Alot of people recommend that one. Its too late for my 20 gallon but I'm defiantly going to use it on my 150.

Its never too late, just use it everytime you do a water change.

I dont know if I understand what you are trying to ask but I don't like tanks that are bare at the bottom.

Jnthn932 said:
I would have gravel but Can plants roots grow in just gravel?

Yes, how good do you clean the gravel? That can be your problem. Junk can get deep in the gravel so your syphon won't pick it up and can cause spikes.

Why dont you change to pool filter sand? You can find a 50lb bag at home depot for $5

Jnthn932 said:
Hmm that sounds like a good idea. It's so fine that food particles and things can't get stuck?

Correct, it's heavy enough to stay at bottom and settles quickly. Many ppl here use it including myself. All of my tanks have pfs

Ok cool. I'm gonna go pick some up. Hopefully that'll fix water clarity and levels. You think I can add it to my tank with fish already in it?

Jnthn932 said:
Ok cool. I'm gonna go pick some up. Hopefully that'll fix water clarity and levels. You think I can add it to my tank with fish already in it?

You can but it will make a mess. You can put the fish, deco & filter in old tank water in buckets while you replace the gravel. Just make sure you rinse the sand before if not your water will be cloudy

Jnthn932 said:
Rinsed the sand and my water is still cloudy. How long until it settles?

Should only take a few hours according to Eco and Ryans little conversation. I have no.personal experience myself with PFS in a tank. Only in my pool filter. It settles fast in there.

Ok cool. Hopefully once it settles my water will become clear again. Y'all should have seen how dirty it got when I took out the gravel. Thank god my fish didn't die.

Jnthn932 said:
Ok cool. Hopefully once it settles my water will become clear again. Y'all should have seen how dirty it got when I took out the gravel. Thank god my fish didn't die.

I am gonna have to bite the bullet and change out my white gravel before too long. I am gonna try mineralized topsoil or floromax

Back
Top Bottom