High nitrites in a new setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ne0f3lis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All,

I recently just setup a new 29 gallon tropical community tank as of 01/01/2019. I have fish in said tank which according to Aqadvisor that I am at 112%. Here is my current setup - https://tinyurl.com/y5dtqmbn

I am about "halfway" through the cycle I believe although my water tests have been showing rather elevated nitrites. 2.0 to 5.0 PPM according to the API Freshwater Master kit. I did a 50% WC as of last night about 1800 local time and again this morning around 1200 local time. I did test again about 30-45 minutes later for several values -

Temp - 76 degrees Fahrenheit
PH - 7.2
High PH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 2.0

I0IR15L.jpg

From everything I have been reading online and through my research, it appears water changes are the way to go however I don't want to stress my fish any further by doing multiple water changes a day. My plan is to do 50% each day this week to see if I can reduce those numbers further. I am using Prime and Stability through this as well. Just wanting to know if I am going about this the right way or if I am missing something in the equation? Would appreciate any and all opinions. :thanks:

Are the fish looking ok? Pretty sure prime will detoxify nitrite for a day or two. A pinch of salt will also help protect the fish from nitrites.

That's a lot of fish to try and cycle a tank with. Usually you put a few in a tank that size to do a fish in cycle. That being said, you will have to change water daily. I'd say a 25-33% daily water change with Prime dechlorinator. I wouldn't be totally opposed to your daily 50% water changes either.

What does your nitrates test out at?

Are the fish looking ok? Pretty sure prime will detoxify nitrite for a day or two. A pinch of salt will also help protect the fish from nitrites.

The fish seem fine as I am not seeing any gasping at the water surface and they appear healthy.

That's a lot of fish to try and cycle a tank with. Usually you put a few in a tank that size to do a fish in cycle. That being said, you will have to change water daily. I'd say a 25-33% daily water change with Prime dechlorinator. I wouldn't be totally opposed to your daily 50% water changes either.

What does your nitrates test out at?

Will grab my nitrite and nitrate test this morning after the water change. I did add some Matrix to my U3 internal filter along with the BioMax to see if that helps any.

Hello Ne0...

You have some tank management problems. Hardy fish won't get stressed over less than optimum water conditions. Guppies, Platys, Sword tails, Danios or any of the species of Minnows are very capable of tolerating traces of nitrogen in their tank water. Once the fish are acclimated to the water, just feed them a little every day or two to maintain a steady source of nitrogen. Test daily for ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, remove and replace one-quarter (25%) of the water, but no more. Large water changes are great for the fish, but starve the bacteria. Just test daily and change out the water when needed. When several daily tests show no traces of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled. Then, you change half the water weekly for the life of the tank. The process should run it's course in roughly 30 days.

B

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 2 PPM
Nitrate - 5 PPM

I did another 50% water change today before reading BBradbury's reply. I did use Prime and Stability along with some stress coat after the water change. Will reduce my water change to 25% daily as well as keep on testing. Thank you for the replies all!

Last edited:
Hello Ne0...

You have some tank management problems. Hardy fish won't get stressed over less than optimum water conditions. Guppies, Platys, Sword tails, Danios or any of the species of Minnows are very capable of tolerating traces of nitrogen in their tank water. Once the fish are acclimated to the water, just feed them a little every day or two to maintain a steady source of nitrogen. Test daily for ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, remove and replace one-quarter (25%) of the water, but no more. Large water changes are great for the fish, but starve the bacteria. Just test daily and change out the water when needed. When several daily tests show no traces of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled. Then, you change half the water weekly for the life of the tank. The process should run it's course in roughly 30 days.

B
this is also good to know. On another question posted I was told that larger water changes (50%) do not affect BB growth. That would explain why my tank is taking forever to finish its cycle.

this is also good to know. On another question posted I was told that larger water changes (50%) do not affect BB growth. That would explain why my tank is taking forever to finish its cycle.
There's more to it than that. If you keep ammonia levels in your tank it feeds BB. BB is not in the water column. If you have high nitrites or Ammonia you should absolutely do 50% water changes or multiple 25-33% water changes until the levels are lowered to acceptable levels in a fish in cycle.

I think the idea that 50% water changes is bad is if you are removing all the ammonia during the cycle with a larger water change. But with fish in cycles this doesn't really happen as they constantly produce ammonia.

There's more to it than that. If you keep ammonia levels in your tank it feeds BB. BB is not in the water column. If you have high nitrites or Ammonia you should absolutely do 50% water changes or multiple 25-33% water changes until the levels are lowered to acceptable levels in a fish in cycle.

I think the idea that 50% water changes is bad is if you are removing all the ammonia during the cycle with a larger water change. But with fish in cycles this doesn't really happen as they constantly produce ammonia.
ok, makes sense. i read somewhere if Ammonia and Nitrites add to less than 1.0 dose prime and let it be, greater than or equal to 1 do a water change. thoughts? I enjoy the whole learning process and appreciate everything that all members have to offer.

You could use prime in that scenario but you'd probably have to dose it every day.

A lot of people who get readings of 2-5 ppm ammonia or nitrites should be doing multiple water changes to lower them to acceptable ranges that fish can survive in.

You could use prime in that scenario but you'd probably have to dose it every day.

A lot of people who get readings of 2-5 ppm ammonia or nitrites should be doing multiple water changes to lower them to acceptable ranges that fish can survive in.
my Ammonia hasn't gone over .50ppm and Nitrites at .50ppm as well with one day hitting 1.0ppm. I was doing well with ammonia at 0ppm and nitrites at .25-.50ppm until I made the mistake of doing the deep gravel clean and now set my tank back. I add prime daily for tank volume if no water change and when I do a water change obviously condition water with it.

.50 ppm isn't bad per say but with the way the parameters swing when cycling I usually prefer to keep them at .25 ppm. And if I want to bring .50 ppm down to .25 ppm I just do a 50% water change. I don't disagree with doing a couple back to back 25% water changes within the day either.

Hello kb...

Large water changes remove nitrogen. Nitrogen is what feeds the bacteria colony. By using hardy fish that tolerate water with higher nitrogen levels, you cycle the tank much faster.

B

@Autumnsky - Thank you for the information!

Testing my water today -

Ammonia - 0 PPM
Nitrite - 2 PPM
Nitrate - 0 PPM

I have been doing 25% water changes almost daily and there has been little to no change. I did add some Matrix to my internal filter as well as my AC 30 HOB. Is it possible for the cycle to just stall at the Nitrite part or do I need to just wait longer? The fish seem good as well as I am using Prime and Stability almost daily as well. I think I may go to every other day on water changes to allow for the BB to work on the Nitrite. Just puzzled is all...

You can do a 50% pwc because you have fish. Any Nitrite is harmful. It is hard for this part of a fish in cycle.

After the 50% pwc then check and if it is not UNDER - at or under .25 ppm which because you are at 2 you will likely need a few pwc's.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

A bit longer now.

Also I would feed the fish liberally after the pwc's to feed the BB. Check the next day.

Keep monitoring am and pm is recommended.

Last edited:
still struggling with mine as well. Doing 50% pwc daily now. Have tried 50% at once 25% am and 25% pm. Ammonia is sitting at .25ppm now from .50ppm before water change and Nitrites 2.0ppm and nitrates at 5ppm. I skipping a day feeding fish now, turned up water temp 4 degrees, using prime daily and back on stability as well. Fish still seem happy and plenty of energy so will just keep plugging away. Trying to get ahold of the guy I got the fish from and see if he has some sponge media I can get off of him to add that to the tank. Was also thinking of getting a bottle of Safe Start and trying that to see if I can't get the bb to grow some more. Don't find 20 gallon tank to do water changes on that much work, but hoping the cycle finishes soon. I know my Danio had babies as I have seen them around the tank in the rocks and the fish are eating them, not sure if this is causing my parameters to jump up or not either.

Back
Top Bottom