High nitrites in a new setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can do a 50% pwc because you have fish. Any Nitrite is harmful. It is hard for this part of a fish in cycle.

After the 50% pwc then check and if it is not UNDER - at or under .25 ppm which because you are at 2 you will likely need a few pwc's.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

A bit longer now.

Also I would feed the fish liberally after the pwc's to feed the BB. Check the next day.

Keep monitoring am and pm is recommended.

I did 2 50% pwc yesterday and my Nitrite was testing at about .5 PPM last night. Checked again this morning and it is somewhere between .5 and 1 PPM. Will keep doing testing and pwc daily until the tank does complete the cycle.

After doing that 50% pwc both AM and PM seemed to push the cycle to finish. Tested just now -

Ammonia - 0 PPM
Nitrite - 0 PPM
Nitrate - 10 PPM

Added some moss balls and am planning on switching to a weekly 50% pwc on Friday. Thank you for all of the advice and the secret to complete the cycle seems to be water changes when needed along with daily testing to confirm where in the cycle a tank is.

Back
Top Bottom