High pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VulpuixScyther

Aquarium Advice Regular
The title explains it all. I have a 60 gallon tank that I think is pretty well cycled. I set it up about a month or so ago and I just let it run for awhile. I have 3 minnows in the tank right now! I bought them to help the bacteria cycle. I also have a Java Fern, Anubius Nana and Dwarf hair grass.
I tested my levels tonight and these are the results:
pH: 8.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5.0

I read that Cichlids do well in water with a pH of 8.4! But I was wondering, if I put fish like Discus or Khuli Loaches in my tank, would the high pH hurt them?

I was doing some research but some people said that the pH doesn't really matter, and some said it does.

Also, are my Nitrate levels too low?

Here is the tankImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428135471.346602.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's pretty empty right now but I know that it won't always be! ^_^ I'm so excited to actually add some fish and plants! I've been waiting for so long! ?

I have high ph too and when I was getting started this worried me. I did a lot of research and nearly everything I found said to not mess with it. You can buffer it down a bit with driftwood and peat moss, but there's really not a good way to lower it dramatically without changing your water source.

I don't keep discus, but from what I understand they are very delicate so if you are just starting out in the hobby you might want to get your hands wet (so to speak) with some hardier fish.

The nitrates indicate your cycle has started. With a large tank like that and only three tiny fish it will take some time to get a good bb colony, but it seems you are on your way. Just don't go adding too many fish at once.

Briefly ...

Welcome!!

You'll need more fish to keep the cycle bacteria alive.

No discus till you're really experienced. Stick with beginner fish.

The Ph may be fine. Do you know your GH and KH?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I had actually never heard of GH and KH, but I did some research and I'm really glad I did! I didn't know those things were also important.

I don't have a testing kit for those two things but I am going to get one when I can. However, I found a water quality report for water in our area. It has the total hardness which is at the least 92 ppm and at the most 122 ppm.

Magnesium is 3 ppm to 6 ppm
Calcium is 31 ppm to 42 ppm

What if I were to get a couple fancy goldfish? I heard they're pretty messy.

Don't buy fish just to cycle the tank. If you are going to do a fish in cycle the goal should be to keep the fish healthy so you would want fish you plan to keep long-term.

I'm not the kind of person to let something suffer, so I don't plan on sticking them in there just to let them die. :b I'm sorry if that's what it sounded like. I do the best I can with what I know!

There are 3 minnows in my tank because I had this really terrible endeavor with the 10 gallon that I had. Unfortunately, only one fish survived. I decided that I would put him in my 60 gallon and I got him a couple of buddies because he was always following his reflection in the glass. They all seem okay! But any extra pieces of advice would be much appreciated.

Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that was the case. You just don't hear of a lot of people mixing goldfish with other types so I wanted to mention it. If you plan to have some goldfish in your final stocking plan it would definitely be a good source of waste. I don't know anything about goldfish, but since they survive in tiny fish bowls with no filter (not that those are healthy conditions, but they survive) I would assume they could survive the ammonia of a fish-in cycle.

It's all good!

I see what you're saying though! Gold fish don't get along too well with other fish.
I'm going to do some more research!

What are some good fish for beginners and what fish live well together?

Discus are one of the very few fish that are exempt from the pH rule. You fit your tank for what is best for the discus, meaning everything revolves around them. They are very fragile and not in any way a beginner fish.

Under normal circumstances it is best to keep a stable pH than to try and make a perfect one. With discus it is best to buffer their pH to as close as recommended as possible. Because of their sensitivity.

99% of other fish will easily adjust to your pH given enough acclimation.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

You can get an inexpensive book called The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquaruoims by Boruchowitz. It's cheap used or in eBook format online. It has a lot of stocking suggestions for beginners, put together in such a way it doesn't look like a beginner tank.

I bought the book, liked one plan, didn't follow it, and wish I did ... Lol.

For fish in cycling I think it's suggested to start with one small resilient fish per 10 gallons.

You can get an inexpensive book called The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquaruoims by Boruchowitz. It's cheap used or in eBook format online. It has a lot of stocking suggestions for beginners, put together in such a way it doesn't look like a beginner tank.

I bought the book, liked one plan, didn't follow it, and wish I did ... Lol.

For fish in cycling I think it's suggested to start with one small resilient fish per 10 gallons.

Thanks!! I will definitely be checking that out. :)

Did you read the cycling articles on this site? Here is a link to the fish in one Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice. This article is a must read in my opinion. Keep an eye on your PH while cycling because towards the end of the cycle the PH can suddenly bottom out. This will kill or severally damage you beneficial bacteria. You can add some crushed coral, seashells, eggshells or limestone rock to you filter, tank, or in a stocking under your outflow to keep it stable.

Are you doing a cold water tank? Minnows are cooler water species. Do a search on Google for cool water beginner fish or some such and you will get lots of ideas. Or make another post asking for help with whatever type of tank you plan on having.

That post really helped me! I went out today and bought two zebra danios and a crowntail beta. So now I have 6 for my 60 gallon. I made sure to acclimate them slowly and now they're doing fine. So far so good!

I guess I have never thought about cold or warm water. I read somewhere that Rosy minnows can survive in anything from below freezing waters to warm water and they're pretty peaceful fish as well.

Be careful with the Betta especially if it's a male... They are territorial especially to brightly colored fish.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'll make sure and keep an eye on them. What do I do if I notice some bullying?

I'll make sure and keep an eye on them. What do I do if I notice some bullying?

If it is bullying the others that is not going to change. Either return it or get like a 10g tank for him/her.

Most bettas do not work in community tanks to begin with aside from shrimp/snails/ADF.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Okay! I have a 10 gallon for him so if it looks like he's not doing well with the others, I'll put him in there.

I think your nitrates are a bit high, but thats part of the cycle. Id test your water buffer if your ph is that high.

Stable ph is far more important than exact perfect ph, but that being said you want it to be within a healthy realm. If a fish has a healthy range of 6.0 and 7.6, you dont want a constant 9. But a 7.8 isnt horrible, compared to fluctuations which are far more dangerous.

Get some peat moss behind the filter to slowly gradually lower it. Too quick will shock the fish. So stay away from ph chemicals.

Test your tap water too, you just might have really off tap water.

I don't know if you should do anything until the cycle runs its course though. Too many changes at once and youll just be chasing symptoms forever.

This post brought to you by.. ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Back
Top Bottom