Hillstream Loach river biotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lindenthaler.9

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking at setting up a 33 gallon tank for a group of Hillstreams. (To be specific, I have the Gold Ring Butterflies) I already plan on constructing a river tank manifold in combination with canister filtration. It's going to be species specific, and I want to try and breed them.
Does anyone have experience breeding them or building a manifold, or suggestions for the tank itself?
The link for the manifold design I'm going to be following-
River-Tank Manifold Design — Loaches Online

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421953756558.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421953756558.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 208
I've never actually seen a successful river tank on the forum so I will be very interested in seeing what you come up with. Just wish I could offer some more advice.

Some neat things I've seen done though include things such as pools and waterfalls. Some of the river fish will spend their time jumping from pool to pool.

I'll definitely keep posting as it goes, it's on hold for now because we're in the middle of moving but I hope to start it soon.
And no worries, I expect most of the suggestions to come throughout the build. I might have to try something with pools or waterfalls. It's definitely something to look into.

My friend has a 75 gallon. It has a large HOB filter. As well as a powerhead. She grows a ton of jungle Val as well as algae for them.
Their favorite food is Repashy Gel.

She keeps Siwellia

She has 3 new babies.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421993046.353013.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421993057.836007.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421993069.886741.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you know if she keeps them with anything else? I'm not sure if I want it to be species specific or a riverine community. I know species specific is best for breeding.

Probably the Rhinogobious. I looked into them but wasn't sure if breeding Hillstreams would work out with gobies in the tank as well, thanks.

Update- Still trying to get a hold of the lfs owner we know to have him order a 33 long for us. While we wait on that I decided to do a sort of experimental build of the manifold system for my 20 long that is currently being used as the river tank.
I'm hoping to start the build this coming Friday, and after the 33 is set up the 20 will become a quarantine/hospital tank for new additions.

I've also been considering some gobies from the Rhinogobius family for the 33. any recommendations for where I could potentially order them from?

Back
Top Bottom