HoB Dimensions & Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got a 20 gallon, long aquarium that is currently running an internal filter (Fluval U2) that isn't quite cutting it. I'd like to supplement it with a HoB, but I only have approx. 3" of clearance between the back of the tank and the wall. I wont get into why, but I am not able to make the gap any bigger.

The Aqueon Quietflow is looking like my best bet since the impeller is on the part that goes on the inside of the aquarium. However, Im not really sold on their "Bio-Holster" for cultivating BB though, and there's not a whole lot of room for me to add additional biological filtration.

Anybody know if the Fluval C2 will fit or maybe have another suggestion?

The frame for my light rests on the sides, so Im not able to place a filter on the ends. A canister wont work either because the tank sets very low to the ground. :ermm:

The internal filter provides plenty of biological filtration, but very little flow... which is one of the main issues I have with it (that and it takes up a lot of space). So, the more I think about it, the more Im leaning towards ultimately replacing the internal filter all together. To that end, I am considering the Quietflow (it need less than 2" behind the tank) with a sponge filter for supplementary biological filtration.
I run pressurized CO2 for plants though and am not sure what, if any, impact these will have on my CO2 levels since they both create additional surface agitation.
I don't think I'll need the additional sponge bio-filtration if the C2 is able to fit though.

Oh.. flow.. Just get a powerhead and a prefilter on it so it doesn't clog. :)

Plants don't always need the flow however.

Another filter will not be best for your needs if you just want more current as the surface agitation reduces your CO2 levels a lot.

Thanks Fresh. (y)

That'd would be super close, but at least I have something to go off of.

Last edited:
Oh.. flow.. Just get a powerhead and a prefilter on it so it doesn't clog. :)

Plants don't always need the flow however.

Another filter will not be best for your needs if you just want more current as the surface agitation reduces your CO2 levels a lot.

There are also fish in this aquarium and there are additional reasons for wanting to remove the current internal filter.

Back
Top Bottom