HOB Refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefChum518

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking into getting a HOB Refugium for my 36g tank.

What exactly is need in the Refugium?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Live sand, live rocks and cheto algae

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I use one on my 70g, I personally like the hob, mine is on the side and looks like a little tank

What size is yours?

I was looking at the CPR Aquafuge 2, they sell them in 3 different sizes, just wonder what size would be acceptable for my 36g?

I think small,I have the medium one on my aquarium, is also a cpr aquafuge, got some small live rocks and a handful of cheto....I start using the fuge about 2-3 months ago and I have lots of pods right now, and also lately some pinapple sponges growing in it....

The LFS told me to have a low flow in it,so I upgrade the pump to an eheim one,is working good for me, some people also use mineral mud instead of live sand,it's about you, I also leave the lights on for 24 h, some people do the same lights cicle of the aquarium and some do the opposite cicle of the aquarium....

Ok good to know, thanks a bunch!

No problem

There is no need for rock or sand in a hob refugium if you have the lbs per gallon in your display. It won't export any nutrients and simply waste space.
You want as much room for macro algae as possible. More room means more algae which means more nutrients exported.
Get the largest one that you can fit and toss a macro algae of your choice in...cheato is popular as it won't go sexual and screw up your water chemistry.

I have the large PS version. It has the built in skimmer and the space in the rest of the fuge is like a medium one without the skimmer. It was on my 30 gal.
I had rock rubble in there, but yes, it's all about the algae space. And the heater. Perfect place for the heater.

An handful of cheto algae is going to do the job on a tank of that size...
All depends, if reef chum plan to expose the hob refugium, live rock and live sand make the refugium look good, like a little tank on the side or the back, my LFS had a couple of little clown fish in it....

Back
Top Bottom