holding mbuna help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidheaven

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey its bin a wile but just today I notice one of my mabuna was not out in sight so I looked for him and what do u know its a she and she's holding wtf I don't know what to do or how long the process is or what so please help Ive herd of homemade tublers and all or should I wait till they hatch in her mouththen strip or what should I do as a bigginer to fry not cichlid just fry lol I've had cichlids sice I was a kid just never had them breed close but never successful lol thanks

Id wait a while until she looks like she's gonna burst then strip her fry are easy to take care of once they are free swimming I've never had luck with eggs

One mistake I made was to put the fry in a breeder net on the side of my take cuz my cichlids riped it apart to eat the babies

I feed my fry with blood worms not to many tho and I also grind up my pellet food

If I were u id get a 10 gal tank with a spoung. Filter

ForumRunner_20130403_150656.jpg

Found this guy in my tank

I don't have experience breeding cichlids either, but Ive seen other posts on here say it could take up to 14-25 days before they are ready.

Most of the time people strip them around 18days or later.. they can hold up to 30-36days

18-36 days

Hey its bin a wile but just today I notice one of my mabuna was not out in sight so I looked for him and what do u know its a she and she's holding wtf I don't know what to do or how long the process is or what so please help Ive herd of homemade tublers and all or should I wait till they hatch in her mouththen strip or what should I do as a bigginer to fry not cichlid just fry lol I've had cichlids sice I was a kid just never had them breed close but never successful lol thanks

I would wait you should start seeing free swimming fry in her mouth if she will let you. If your going to wait to strip her at that point then they're normally ready 15-20 days. They will hold them 18-36 days if you just wait for her to spit them into another tank.

Last edited:
So when would be a good time to remover her to her own tank and should I move the male to or just her

Back
Top Bottom