Holes in leaves ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 5.5 Marineland hex, it's actually a nifty little tank, built in filter and light socket so you can throw a cfl in there and go med/high light..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nice! Ok. I'll see what they have in stock and what I can upsell the hubs. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well this is what I ended up with.
Can you even change out lights on this kind?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405297978.510878.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cool, check out the finnex clip on rig, it was on sale last I heard

Looks cool, I kind of want something like that for a betta..you could always throw a desk lamp behind it with a 6500k 23w cfl for added lighting

So. I have a DIY co2 rig ready to go but gave a question. One set of instructions I saw said I could use an air stone but another suggests a diffuser. I know I can get a cheap diffuser so I'm Leary about an air stone but it's what I have until I order and receive the diffuser.
Opinions. Pros and cons?
I'm thinking the air stone would be hard to regulate. ?

So. I have a DIY co2 rig ready to go but gave a question. One set of instructions I saw said I could use an air stone but another suggests a diffuser. I know I can get a cheap diffuser so I'm Leary about an air stone but it's what I have until I order and receive the diffuser.
Opinions. Pros and cons?
I'm thinking the air stone would be hard to regulate. ?

Im.going to say niether.. the air stone will surely clog as will the diffuser over time.. pressurized co2 is clean with little byproduct while the yeast mix creates goo that will.work it's way through the lines.. i run mine right into the hob filter, the bubbles get chopped up into a fine mist by the impellor, a power head is also a good means for distribution..

Ahh I see.
I have a weird little sponge filter.
I suppose I can use the air stones until I decide on something else though. How long does it take before it would get clogged?

On another note my little puffers are getting territorial. Not nipping at each other (yet). Making sure enough food gets to each territory helps. But leaves uneaten food. Not many options for tank mates. Best way to get that cleaned up? Some ghost shrimp in the tank already and they get some if it but not much.

Wonder if I can change the name of the thread ? Lol.

Btw my little floating java moss ball is going craZy since I added the bulb and started upping the excel.

Filter
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405517040.811243.jpg

Java moss

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405517065.012635.jpg

;)

I also use a small internal filter for CO2 dispersion and it works great. I bought the cheapest, smallest I could find and removed the filtration bar the open weave sponge, cut ope the intake area at the base and let the CO2 hose sit up inside. I've recently read of people using bamboo chopsticks. Some were cut flush with the tube and others on a long angle similar to a fruit tree graft. These are cheap, readily available and easily replaced.
As I discovered, a silicone seal is compulsory irrespective of how well all the components fit at the bottle end. The gas is being forced through tiny holes and looks for path of least resistance. That's why I went for the through the filter option.
Great moss ball too!

Thanks mattoid!

I do have the silicon seal in place
I'll play around with your suggestions! Thanks for your input!

New small? Problem. I have developed this whitish paper like film on my water surface. When you disturb it it sends while flaky looking stuff into my water flow.
Is it from the excel since I've upped the dose?

All my tests come out normal. 0

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405603231.049805.jpg

The whitish stuff is most likely a bacterial film on the surface. You can break it up by increasing surface agitation. You can also place a paper towel on the surface and quickly remove it as a quick fix. You can repeat this several times until you get most or all of it out.

Thanks for the quick reply Fresh!
I skimmed some off before your reply but the paper towel method sounds much better!

Some leaves are turning brown on a plant that had been doing so well. Too much light? I'm running lights for 6 hours.

Back
Top Bottom