Holey rock/murky water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douglas4701

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, just did a cleaning and then added some holey rock to the tank. I had already soaked the holey rock and scrubbed it down prior to using it. I soaked it a second time. The water stayed clear. So am I seeing another bacterial bloom in a n already cycled tank that's five months old? Any ideas what this could be? I also noticed some of the fish swimming toward the top of the tank and they are just barely from the top?

The murky water is most likely from your rock. It should clear up overnight or couple of days.

The fish at the top is a concern, check all your parameters. It's possible that the rock rose your pH a lot too fast, not 100% sure though

I checked the ph and its at 8 which is where I have kept it. The ammonia is where it's always been and the nitrates are less than 10. The fish are of good color. I recall before this took place I found myself cleaning a large amount of poo and thin clearish particle off the bottom a few days before the change. Seemed to be a lot of bacteria type material floating about and it seemed to be endless and I was cleaning that out with my Eheim hose free vacume. I am currently only running a hob filter because my other was getting to the point of over load and I ordered a new one that's on it's way.

I wanted to add that I did do a water change tonite adding only bottled distilled water... About 10 gallons worth... It did seem to clear it a bit. I also changed the filters in the hob which I do often.

Fish at the surface usually means low dissolved oxygen. Lower the temp and lower the water level from the filter output.

Before I read this I put my circulation fan near the top and that helped a lot. They left from the bottom and looked a ton more active. I did another water change using distilled water and everything cleared up. My large canister filter gets here tomorrow or Monday. Then I'll have the hob, canister, filtration fan.

Back
Top Bottom