Holiday feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just wondering what everyone did to feed their fish while they are away on holiday.

We have just been away for a week and asked my dad to come and feed them every other day. I gave him instructions and wrote on the packets how much to feed them. We get home tonight so will see if they've been over or underfed. I'm really nervous :/

What does everyone else recommend, or advise against?

how long are we talking about here? As long as you don't have fry or some sensitive fish that need fed daily/twice daily, I would have no problem going 5-6 days without feeding them. I feed my african cichlids once every 3 days, they could easily hold out a few more on occasion.

Auto feeders can be ok if you set them up a few days before you go to make sure they're working right.

We do actually have fry at the moment, otherwise I probably would have left them. My dad did a brilliant job though. No uneaten food, no ammonia rise, no fat or skinny fish :) we actually found a guppy fry in the tank that we hadnt spotted before we went away.

I thought about getting an auto feeder but my fish eat such small amounts I didn't think it would work :)

most people seem to have had bad experiences with feeder blocks. Has anyone actually had a good experience with them?

I've never heard anything good about them, so I've never tried them. That's one situation where I think it's best left to what you've heard, not tried.

Back
Top Bottom