Holiday tank decor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moleliminator

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is there anyone that would decorate their aquarium for holidays such as Halloween and/or Christmas? We've been asked to invest in a line of products and we think its a great idea but we'd like to get a feel for the market from aquarium enthusiasts. Thanks for any positive or negative replies.

Personally, I wouldn't either, but there may be some interest for those who have young children. :)

Can you share what holidays your company was thinking about and what type of decorations would be made?

I can see some people going for this, and also some companies that run an aquarium in a public spot (like a waiting room in a doctors office). I think that kid oriented decorations could do well. Personally though, I wouldn't. But that's mostly because my wife and I don't have much company. If there were some that fit into the scheme of my tanks I would definitely look into it though, could be interesting. More so when kids are in the picture. Neighbor kids love my tanks and that could be fun for them.

The decorations would be things similar to what people already use when they decorate their homes for the holidays. Things exactly like what Brooster123 said, jackolanterns for fish to swim in, santa in a sleigh being pulled by reindeer, floating ghosts, gift and coffin that bubbles would open their lids, and other simple things just to dress up the tank for fun during the holidays.

Don't businesses usually have a service to set up and maintain the tank? Maybe call on them to gauge interest? I think that would be your primary market. They could offer it as an upsell and keep a stockpile of various decorations for their customers. Most hobbyists might use window clings or suction cup style decorations on the outside (my kids do, anyway) but I think most of us have invested so much time, money, and effort in our tank's decor that we aren't inclined make seasonal changes.

I agree about asking retailers but I worried that if they've never carried such products that they wouldn't be able to accurately gauge the demand. I really wanted the opinions of serious aquarium people like all of you that are taking the time to reply. And I REALLY appreciate each and everyone of you that are helping me out with your opinions. We also agreed with Fishyd that maybe businesses that have tanks in their offices might be a good avenue but I doubt if there would be enough to sustain a specific décor business. We just want to do our homework because you can buy a home for what it cost to start something like this.

No, not retailers. Call the service companies. And either they love the idea of pitching a new value-added product to offer their clients or they don't. You might get in with the glofish folks, too. But, I'm definitely not one of them so I couldn't say.

I think the more casual fish keeper would be more likely to do the decorations. Or those that have a tank for their children. From the advanced fishkeeper, I don't think there would be much interest. Most keep their tanks as balanced as possible with the style they decide and adding something new, even just temporary, could mess with it.

You could try reaching out to someone that has a large audience base and see if they might help or give advice. Like Dustin's Fish Tanks on youtube. Don't know many others but it's an idea.

I do, but on the exterior, I painted (with fake glitter snow) snow to hide the gravel, with a little snowman and snow flakes, for Halloween little sticky forms on the glass as well. I have looked everywhere to find safe in tank ornaments, so yes I definitely would be a client, I only found one nice coral Christmas tree, for like 50$.

As a general rule I usually pick out a decor I like, and I leave it alone. I try not to swap it around for holidays since I put so much effort into getting the layout just right that I don't want to have to get it all back together once the holiday is over. Then again, I usually have super dense layouts, so someone that sparsely decorates would probably be more willing.

That said, certain holiday decorations might be used year round. I heard about someone who set up their tank looking like a desert and put glass catfish in it so the tank looked like it had skeletons flying around the desert... I could see Halloween decor being particularly popular for year round decorations on a similar design. Monster fish keepers may get a kick out of skeleton, bones, ghosts, alien and monster decor for their monster/oddball fish to hang out with. I don't see Easter, Valentine, or Christmas decor being quite as popular...

Luananeko I kinda thought that the Halloween could be more popular as well. Now we just need a few more thousand people like Sabrina. haha

Christmas could be. But if done the right way. More wintery/seasonal would probably be better than holidays.

Though I do like the idea of oddballs with skeletons and such.

Fishyd I took your advice and sent Dustin a message on his website. He called me 5 minutes later. Turns out he was only about 40 miles from me. He had some really good advice so thanks for the lead.

Maybe on the exterior I would.

For the interior, if it was something a bit useful as well I might try it at the front of the tank where I have room.

Personally, I wouldn't do it in a million years--even with small children. When my kids were little, they learned a great deal about life and nature from the natural aquariums in our home.

Holiday decor in the tank... My wife wants me to place "pretty" stuff inside the tank so my fish can be "happy"...what!
I like it al a natural or even bare.

Um Shark Tank anyone? Lol I mean the show of course! It def sounds like a viable business but let me ask you this....Let's say you are successful, what would stop Marineland, Penn Plax, Petco or any other big decor manufacturer from doing the same thing and squashing you like the cockroach you are? (No offense but that's what you would be to them). Unless you can develop a patent of some sort, how could you prevent that?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom