Holy freakout! 100s, or 1000s, of tiny white worms in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Last week I put a male, female, pair of GBRs in my tank. I did a lot of reading one them and everyone says that they are quite delicate. My tank has been at 0 ammonia 0 nitrItes and never more than 10 nitrAtes (gotta love the plants).

When I added the new fish and re-arranged some plants, I seemed to have a little mini-cycle. Ammonia stayed at 0, but nitrItes went up. I did a few PWCs and everything calmed down. Yesterday I noticed that the male GBR is breathing very rapidly, staying at the bottom corners of the tank and not eating. The female seems fine. This morning I noticed that he kept one of his pectoral fins tight against his body and was still breathing rapidly and keeping in the rear corner.

I decided to give the tank a half-dose of melafix and pimafix (I heard that combining the two makes both more effective), as a preventative measure. Well, surprise, surprise!!!

Not five minutes after I added the melafix and pimafix to the water I noticed that the water looked a little cloudy. I got closer to the tank. There were hundreds or thousands of small hair-like strands floating in the water........then I saw some move!

The fish seemed to enjoy them, but I have no idea what they were, or are. I suspect that they are in the filterpad of my HOB filter. I'll have to change that tonight, but I know that is going to cause another mini-cycle and I don't want to stress the male GBR even more.

Has anyone else seen worms like that. They just looked like white strands and were about the thickness of a hair and only 2-4mm long. It totally freaked me out to see them in the tank.

Most likely nematodes, most likely from overfeeding or lack of deep gravel vacuuming. They are usually in the gravel rather than the filter. Rinse the filter pad in non-chlorinated water and reuse it.

I'm going to do that. It was just freaky to see so many. The fish didn't seem to mind so much. They just got a free meal :)

I had something like that before...but they were not in the water...they were above the water on the tank walls up top...they are white at first and then they would turn a dark color...My tank was really dirty at that time...I basically did a 30% water change and cleaned the walls of the tank...after that they disappeared...as far as your fish breathing rapidly...what is the pH level in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom