honey gourami & red zebra danio: incompatible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi everyone:

put two honey gouramis and three red zebra danios in a 5 gallon yesterday.

danios seems to only stay at the very top of the tank, like they are uncomfortable to go anywhere else in the tank?

at feeding time, danios get all the food and there's nothing left for the gouramis.

wondering if this is a bad mix and should i move the danios to a separate tank

any suggestions and experiences are much appreciated.

thanks.

Well go there irate off this tank is way to small for theese fish. The only fish that can live happily and healty in a 5 gallon are Etta's and guppies, as well as nano fish. Zebra danios are top dwelling fish, so this makes sense. The zebras need at least 20 an the honey desires 10. Did you cycle this??

Zebra Danios are mainly top-dwellers, so I wouldn't worry about that. They are also very active feeders, so the gourami may be left out. What I try to do in situations like that is to sprinkle some flakes at the top for the active fish, then while they are pigging out, try to sink some flakes to the bottom for the slower feeders. I have had great success with that method.

Also, as stated above, this is not the ideal home for either of these fish. A 20 gallon would be greatly preferred.

Well go there irate off this tank is way to small for theese fish. The only fish that can live happily and healty in a 5 gallon are Etta's and guppies, as well as nano fish. Zebra danios are top dwelling fish, so this makes sense. The zebras need at least 20 an the honey desires 10. Did you cycle this??

yes, tank was cycled for 2 weeks before fish were added.

And by cycled, did you just let it run? Or actually add ammonia and test until desired ammonia nitrate and nitrite levels?

Zebra Danios are mainly top-dwellers, so I wouldn't worry about that. They are also very active feeders, so the gourami may be left out. What I try to do in situations like that is to sprinkle some flakes at the top for the active fish, then while they are pigging out, try to sink some flakes to the bottom for the slower feeders. I have had great success with that method.

Also, as stated above, this is not the ideal home for either of these fish. A 20 gallon would be greatly preferred.

thanks for sharing about how to feed each fish type. will try that.

did not realize about tank size issue. lfs did not say tnak was too small. will get a 20 gallon now.

thanks again

Back
Top Bottom