Hopefully last 100g table/stand question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So the castor issue is on hold for now as I had forgotten we tiled the floor in this room for ease of cleaning (was originally a ferret & rat room)

New%20project.jpg

In the pic you can see the 4x4s (1at each side 2 at each end) that are reinforcing the underside of the table. They are inside the 3/4" bottom trim which I am assuming will not be a problem as the tank is approximately 6" narrower and 12" shorter than the table itself which is why the double 4s on each end. However the 4x4s are taller(?) than the space created from the bottom of the table to the bottom of the trim so the table will actually be sitting on the 4s - do I have to plane them down to be level with the trim or can I leave them like this since the tank won't anywhere close to the edges? Reasonably prompt answers would be appreciated as the mill should be calling any day to say the 4x4s are ready for pick up
Thanks

That won't matter. Unless you don't want a gap from the floor to the trim, then I'd ask them to cut off the extra to make them not noticeable. It's gonna be on Tile floor so the gap will be seen, up to you on how you'd like it to look really. Myself, I'd cut them flush with the trim so it all sits flat to the floor.

And I'll add another thought too. I remember the tank is shorter, I'd move the 4X4's in 6" on each side on the bottom (trim area). Make everything even to the tank. If you put the blocks in the corners of the stand(bottom) it might warp the bottom of the stand. By moving them in the 6" it will reinforce directly under the tank. Think of it as the legs to the tank. In order to reinforce, you gotta reinforce in the right spots.

I thought I had covered this issue by having the double 4s on each end since that is 8" while the tank is only 6" shorter??
The only other question that has come up is about the 4s that I am placing vertically by the original posts. I originally was putting them side by side but am now thinking they ahould be on an inward diagonal due to the size difference between table & tank???

New%20project%20180301113615.jpg

I was more worried about creating a support problem than aesthetics in regards to the 4s showing at the bottom because of the size difference between them & the trim. I figure I can always stain the part of the 4 that shows if it really bothers me

I thought I had covered this issue by having the double 4s on each end since that is 8" while the tank is only 6" shorter??
The only other question that has come up is about the 4s that I am placing vertically by the original posts. I originally was putting them side by side but am now thinking they ahould be on an inward diagonal due to the size difference between table & tank???

View attachment 307485
Yes you covered that area. But that is your support for the middle of the stand under the corners of the tank, (basically). This is why I mentioned in your other post to take the bottom trim off. Then you wouldn't have to worry about reinforcing more. If your blocks are gonna be in the corners of the bottom stand (on floor) the bottom boards might bow. The support of the blocks need to be/should be, in the same spots as your add on 4X4's in the middle of the stand.

Unless I read this wrong. If your cutting square holes through the bottom boards for the 4X4's to stand as legs to the floor you should be fine.

SO confused now. Going to recap the build so we are hopefully all on the same page.
Table is 2 levels with the top being supported by 4 4x4 posts and a middle storage cabinet. There is 3/4" wide trim around the bottom that the table rests on - at the moment. The tank is smaller than the table so it will sit 6" in from each end and 2" in from each side. I plan on adding a vertical 4x4 post on an angle from each original post to make sure that there is a post or most of a post under each corner of the tank and they will be supported underneath by the other 4x4s I am adding (or at least 3/4s supported). I am going to try and remove the bottom trim but if it looks like it will cause any kind of damage to the bottom boards it stays on. On the underside of the bottom of the table I am going to add a 4x4 down each side and 2 4x4s on each end to create a base that the table essentially sits on. I am hoping the cabinet between the 2 levels will provide minimal center support for the tank. *I* see no places unsupported that could cause bowing of table or tank unless I am missing something somewhere along the line

Nope, you should be good if your running them along the bottom too. Just wanted to make sure everything is supported before filling the tank. It's alot of weight.

Ok so my last(?) question is since the most of the extra support being added is on the bottom & nothing above that other than the new 4x4 posts between the top and bottom "layers" should I add a peice of plywood to the top of the table to make it slightly beefier?

To be on the safe side you could if you wanted. I don't think you'll need to. The main support of the tank is gonna be in your corners(your 4X4's). But it might help the middle of the stand to support the middle of the tank better.

Back
Top Bottom