Horribly Tattered Betta Fins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whiscash

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there.

I came home from class today to see that my Betta had HORRIBLY ripped fins. It just seems to have come out of nowhere. The water params check out normal, and I did a water change three days ago. There is nothing but plants and a rock formation in his tank, which I doubt to be the culprits as they are the same plants and rock formation that are found in my Delta tail/Cory tank, and my Delta tail's fins are perfect.

This happened two weeks ago as well, and I was finally excited for his fins to be growing back so nicely and quickly when this happened. :(

He is eating just fine and does not appear to be ill or unhappy at all. In fact, he is building a bubble next as I type this.

Does anyone have any ideas what is going on?

Could you post up a picture?

And he's in the tank alone and with nothing that could have torn them? Maybe the filter caught his fins? Or it might be fin rot or some other disease.

If it is just his tail fins he might be nipping his own fins, I had one that did that. I put an orange ping pong ball in its tank and he stopped doing that and took out his aggression on it. I found my bettas did best when they had a few hours of morning sun, especially if they had any fin problems.

Here is a picture. Note that is just his caudal fin that is tattered. His other fins are just fine.
And he is the only fish in the tank.

If it is just his tail fins he might be nipping his own fins, I had one that did that. I put an orange ping pong ball in its tank and he stopped doing that and took out his aggression on it. I found my bettas did best when they had a few hours of morning sun, especially if they had any fin problems.

That seems like it could be an option as he is seriously the most aggressive betta I have ever seen, hah. They are pretty bad though. Do you think nipping would cause them to be like this?

Attachments

• daeng fin.jpg
    daeng fin.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 107
I would guess not a disease. The edges don't look infected. So, something else took it off.

Him ripping his own fins could very well be the problem or he swam too close to the intake of the filter and they got ripped off. Either way, clean water and a healthy diet are the best ways to get good fin growth.

Maybe its just something like plastic plant my betta have the same problem as yours but nw healing

Back
Top Bottom